Bloop slate/box

Hi All,

I'm about to embark on a 16mm sync sound doc shoot, and some situations I'll be filming won't be ideally suited to the old school clapper method. I've read about bloop boxes that generate a synced tone and light that you could simply hold in front of the camera lens and be done. I also like this because it's a little less disconserting for interviews, than a loud clapper.

Anyone know where I can find one? Are these made by anyone?

Thanks!

BR

A long time ago we used a small light on the slate with a wireless connection to a beep generator on the 1/4" tape recorder. The motivation was that the camera, sound rec and slate could be separated in the dark during some stage performances. You still needed to try and ID your shots, so the AC would try and do that with a torch etc.

For your case what about just using quiet tail slates. If you are interviewing in a quiet environment then the clap can be very quiet. Bringing in a tail slate won't affect the content you just shot. It will affect the rhythm of the conversation a bit, but your team can set the feeling of that.

Otherwise, units like we used were available, or maybe something even simpler is possible, maybe it's so simple that you can just make your own.

One possible advantage of a beep or bloop system might be if you wanted to record sound for longer periods and just drop in to shoot sync picture c. Beeps on a separate track.