Kodak 800T

Justin Cary

I know that 800T was available at one point... Do you think Kodak is actively working on a stock to compete with the 800ASA digital sensors on the market? I shoot with a Scarlet/Epic quite a bit and it's not the 800ASA they claim. I rate the sensor at 500 and that seems about right. Of course they aren't going to market the sensor at 500... that takes that major advantage over film off the table.

I'm just curious if Kodak could develop an 800 speed stock that was similar to the grain structure of 500 if that would be a game changer or not???

Any thoughts? I'm probably barking just to bark... But hey, I can dream!

Justin

I guess were all wondering that, its tuff to say with the chapter 11 but if they do okay, they probably would release a 1000 ASA or 800. It's possible to push to 800 on django the cinematographer experimented with 800 and 1000 ASA. 500 with a one push really isn't too bad at all.

• Premium Member

As Will said (though I did like the grunge of 800T) you have an effective 2000T, Technically with 7219 pushed 2 stops. Though IN PRACTICE, it doesn't make much more sense to rate it @ 800 and push 1 stop (effectively still over-exposing a bit to mitigate grain, though 1000 would also be ok).

Kodak actually had a demo video out awhile ago of the '19 stock pushed to 1000 or so-- boxers I think?-- pitted against the '18, and honestly the grain wasn't all that bad on the V-3.

Now, could kodak bring out a packaged 1000T? Sure, but chances are it'd just be the same as current technologies, which are quite remarkable. Hell, I can't really think of a situation i've been in where 500T ('18,'19,'60,'30 (ok maybe '30), or '79) hasn't been enough, though somtimes I would be WFO with all the attendant issues that can bring.