High speed with Arri III

Dan Salzmann

Greetings all,

Need to shoot some second unit stuff at 98 fps. Because of availability and BUDGET problems a 435ES is not possible.

Apparently the only camera camera available is an Arri III with a CE motor that goes up to 120 fps.

Anyone out there have any experience with this camera at high speeds?

How bad is the image stability?

The Arri 3 is fine. How do you think they made all those action movies in the 70's and 80's?

It's not gonna have the pin registration of a 435, but a well-maintained Arri 3 is surprisingly close. If you are overlaying CGI, I might push for a 435, but otherwise it's cool.

In my experience, the Arri 3 often looks like crap on a registration test at 48 fps, but is great at all other speeds. (Something about harmonic vibrations.)

I'm aware that thr Arri III is a single pin registered camera or more exactly single claw and a double claw is preferable. I want to know about other DP's or camera persons shooting HIGH SPEED with this camera. Cheers!

• Premium Member
I'm aware that thr Arri III is a single pin registered camera or more exactly single claw and a double claw is preferable. I want to know about other DP's or camera persons shooting HIGH SPEED with this camera. Cheers!

I have used Arri III at most speeds upto 130 FPS without any problems. However don't let the film run out at high speed! Its not as steady as a Mitchell, but if you finish on Telecine double pin registered won't help.

Stephen Williams DoP

Zurich

www.stephenw.com

• 2 weeks later...

I have found that depending on vintage of 35-3 ( motor wear ) sometimes cannot reach 100 fps. Use 400 ft mags, lesser tension. If there is a chance even 200 ft will help you out. Arri 35-3 it's a very reliable cam, Actually I still find it beautifoul sturdy and very very efficient. No problem at 98 fps not even at 120, just watch for maintenance on cam before renting.

Good luck.