help with deinterlacing via a video processor... best machine?

steve waschka

im looking to improve my deinterlacing. ive got the dvdo hd+... mm601 i think is the model#. is there a broadcast machine that does a better job than these home theater machines? im deinterlacing broadcast camera sd video for web use. and the dvdo does better than the most all of my desktop scripts ive run. but... my desktop is old. and so are the scripts. any opinions? id prefer to stay with a standalone video processor as my workflow is off the tape decks thru the processor and onto a ssd. easier to screen test the footage before editing with that workflow. thanks in advance.

no im not. but ive tried several. they all have a compromise so far that ive seen. my best results come from simply using built in avisynth code that includes a field order, separate the fields, and sometimes, to reduce the load, a select even or odd fields. but that leaves an up and down jitter that i cannot completely dial out with a shift plugin to virtualdub but its close. the dvdo machine is rock steady. but leaves some fragments of darks in the lights where the fields have been restitched.

it would be beautiful to have it deinterlaced real-time during capture to the ssd deck. then im hoping a switch from pc to mac will allow no file conversion for the uncompressed .mov's. then im straight to shuffling clips.

i guess i may have to give in to the reality that a deinterlaced clip is never really a clean progressive. but id like to get real close to cheating reality. at least some fraction closer than i am now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...