Gaffer etiquette question

Some advice please.

Normally I provide my own lighting package for jobs. Mostly a 1 ton van with additional lights

as needed. I have a gaffer I know who will rent out gear. Anyway, on an upcoming non-unionjob

we are using his large truck. He's making the rental and working as my 2nd.

Question: Is it bad form for me to supply things like cut gels I normally have on hand or tools or maybe even a light if it's needed... given he has the rental for the job?

Edited by George Odell

• Premium Member

I don't know if it's proper or not, nor do I particularly let it bother me, but I always tend to have one or two things in the back of my pick-up for that special something just to make my life easier-- things which I know I'll probably use but can't justify renting.

So, I don't see what the issue would be if you knew you had x or y in the back of your truck; just because, and pulled it out. After all, he's making the rental money already anyway.

I have known the fellow for years and I've given him many thousands of $$ in rentals so I don't think, with him at least,

it will be a big deal. Just did not know if it was frown upon in most circles. Like Adrian said, he's already got the rental

locked up.

It's just a few $$ in expendables that, by the time he goes to the truck and cuts a piece, we can have the shot completed.

• Premium Member

For myself, that's what it's about; getting it done quickly, hence why I have some of my own stuff which I keep on hand, because it helps me work a bit faster. Though I dunno why he wouldn't already have some skinned things 'round.