Software to assist in printer settings

Philip Kral

I was thinking of striking some prints of my negatives. I don't suppose there's anyway Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere or any other program has any reference files it can export that I can give to the colorist to obtain the adjustments I made to the digital copy? I know Avid could, but that's the one editing program I don't have access too.

• Site Sponsor

If you were striking prints from a negative you would have to give a color timer foot+frame numbers for changes and printer lights, outside of a high end grading environment there is no practical way to do this. Avid does not have a way of exporting printer lights and whatever monitor you may be looking at the footage on, even if it were calibrated to REC709 would need a accurate film print emulation LUT added to get close. I would suggest talking to the color timer and possibly sending a dvd for reference.

-Rob-

Thanks Rob, that DVD idea sounds simple enough. I wouldn't be looking for scene to scene correction anyway, just a general look for the whole print (Crushed blacks, saturate colors, etc).

Thanks again!

• Premium Member

Memochrome is my printer light control device. I developed it with the aid of Albert Riedlin V. and Rainer Rombach in 2007, hence its initial name WRR. You have free choice of 32,000 times 50 light steps each for R-G-B in an Excel file or similar software. If one could convert video color grading data to comma separated sets like 34,36,41 it would be a nice affair.

Memochrome is available to the industry. PM please for further details