Modifying Super 8 era Condenser mics

Rudy Velez Jr

Good Morning,

I was wondering if super 8 era condenser microphones can be modified to work with todays products. Most of them have a extinct plug that plugs into their respective super 8 cameras. Perhaps someone out there with the technical wizardry can modify these badboys' to work with say a Zoom H4N or at the very least just plug into the standard microphone jack of today.

These microphones looks so cool, its shame I wasn't born during a time when sound film was manufactured. Is there anyone out there who could relate a story about using super 8 condensor mice for a shoot. I am just curious as to how good these mics where, they look nice. I have the ablity to test out one of these mics I just have to find a 1.3v mercury replacement, a visit to b&h is in my future lol.

The short answer to your question is, "Absolutely, they can be modified... but why would you want to?"

Most of them have terrible, flat sound. They had to match S8 film, which didn't exactly have a lot of range (40Hz-13kHz for S8 Mag). Hence, they were mostly on the bad end, sound wise. S8 Mag sound tends to be really muddy.

Even in the 70s, when s8 sound film was available, people doing serious recording in s8 had to shoot double system. Some (but not all) Braun Nizos (and some other brands) have a pilot tone. Some cameras are set up for crystal sync. Either would let you sync in post.

If you have a Zoom H4n, get a good modern shotgun mic. There are plenty out there. Even a cheap modern one will outdo a good older super 8 mic.