Filters

Rolfe Klement

I did a search and got 21 pages back - I searched through them briefly but anyway...

I am thinking of getting or already have a pola (Skies, reflections), ND's (T2 in bright light), Promist 1 and 2 (beauty), Grad ND's(Landscape), 85's(Daylight and Tungsten issues)

So I am looking for advice on some subtle warming | Cooling filters and some subtle colour shift and some funky others - I cannot find that wonderful link on filter comparisons

Which ones do you always use and why?

thanks

Rolfe

Hmmmm...

One I like a lot is tobacco. I shoot a lot of country music videos and other material on farms or in old, small towns etc. In this setting I find that the tobbaco 1 filter provides a nice warmth (especially in the sun). It is a bit like an old picture that has faded or turned sepia. Skin tones looks a little more tan and things like dirt, dead grass/leaves, and rust seem to take the color very well. I also sometimes use an antique suede for the same purpose (but it softens a little).

Go to your usual rental house and shoot tests. Other than 85's and ND's and the 81EF there are no filters that I use "all the time". Every film is a universe in and of itself.

I have a set of Harrison & Harrison sepia filters that are quite nice.

Get some Wratten 81's (warming) and 82"s (cooling) gels-cheap.

Thanks for the feedback. It is great.

So apart from the usual suspects (ND etc) people don't usually have "almost always used filters" like 81E's etc

Any recommendations for Floro correction apart from the usual - does anyone add a 81 as well?

More a case of get what you need for the scene.

thanks

Rolfe

Edited by Rolfe Klement