Washed out film grade

Nathan Lacey

• Premium Member

That's not really grading... looks more like a fog filter on the lens when shooting and good production design in choice of locations and costuming. Looks need to start @ the lens. In post ou could pull out the saturation, and milk the blacks a bit; but it won't really be the same.

• Premium Member

Just looks close to log to me, uncorrected to Rec.709 -- lifted blacks, lowered color saturation. The original looks like perhaps a Smoque or UltraCon filter was used, but maybe the anamorphic lens was just older too. As a starting point, if you had shot with a Red camera, I'd start with RedLogFilm as a base look and work from there; if using an Alexa, then Log-C. If shooting with a Rec.709 HD camera, I'd try to get something like a Sony HyperGamma look built in for starters.

david mullen is always correct fact : )

20 secs in thought bland alexa out of camera maybe tweaks in post.

0 film look here just fakery poker ry.

digical cack ohh for the days

the fuji and kodak days.

film look this is film look and anamorphic.

also some of this looks like fake anamorphic very odd.

get a dvd of the movie badlands if you want to see this kind of thing done properly.

getting the look

check out the magic lantern canon raw hacks.nice and flat look get a real anamorphic lens and you should be able to get better images than this bloke with a gun tale.

art direction was good.

Edited by alan doyle