film flash frames

Chris Alex

Yes, since it takes the camera longer to get up to speed, you will see more flash frames at higher speeds.

Some cameras, such as the Arri 435 Advanced and the 235 let you set the "ramp up" speed to HI or LO. LO gives you more flash frames.

If you have a camera with an RCU (Arri 435, 535, 235, Arricam) set up a ramp between 1fps and 24 fps, but make sure it is a speed ramp only with no shutter compensation. You can use the dial on the RCU to ramp from 1fps (which would be over 4 stops overexposed) to 24fps to get lots of flash frames.

• Premium Member

Amateur cameras were designed to start/stop quickly to avoid making flash frames. Pro gear has always been gentler ramping up and down.

One use for flash frames is "low budget lightning" -- On the older Arri's and Mitchells we used to turn the switch off briefly -- quarter second to a couple seconds -- during an MOS shot. Have an actor walk to the window, stop and look out, lit mainly from outside, do a couple switch flips, then continue the scene. Lay in a thunder effect, and you have the world's cheapest way to make lightning.

-- J.S.

Thanks you two for your advise.

I own a Beaulieu 4008ZMII. And i havnt seen my films yet so i dont know how it looks like. If filmed at 70fps my subject with start-stops to get those flashes.

Does anyone know how the 4008 ramps up and down?

Im into making music videos and ive shot with miniDV for several years and ive produces artifical flashes at post production.

Now i want to use super8 to get that classic look.

An even more clumsy way is to shoot darkness (lens cap on or whatever)with part of the cartridge, then remove it from the camera (thus exposing a few frames to daylight), re-insert the cartridge and shoot more darkness. When telecined you will have a distinct flash frame within a section of black footage, you can then edit this out store on your hard drive and use at will. I've had some nice images with this as the flash isn't uniform across the frame and nice coloured effects appear.

Edited by onsuper8

• Premium Member
An even more clumsy way is to shoot darkness (lens cap on or whatever)with part of the cartridge, then remove it from the camera (thus exposing a few frames to daylight), re-insert the cartridge and shoot more darkness.

As you state, taking the cartridge out the camera is another great way to achieve the flash affect.

You can still control how the light hits the six exposed frames so it's up to you be creative. You might find you like briefly exposing it in diffused light gives a different look than in bright daylight, keeping your finger over part of each portion of the film frames might produce a unique effect.

And don't forget to check where your footage counter is because it will probably reset back to zero when you take the film out of the camera.

You can also stop your camera the way Beaulieu says it shouldn't be stopped so the shutter stays open. I don't recall completely how it's done, but I think you should cut the power before you let go of the "pistol". This produces flash frames very often.

You can also stop your camera the way Beaulieu says it shouldn't be stopped so the shutter stays open. I don't recall completely how it's done, but I think you should cut the power before you let go of the "pistol". This produces flash frames very often.

Yeah thats what is says. Nice idea...

I did it and yes the shutter stays open.

Often it stays half open. Cant wait to develop the film.

Thanks