Are Super-8 Cameras throw-a-ways?

John Adolfi

I've just scored a Nikon R-10. My question is that if I plan on shooting with this camera alot and keeping it for a long while, should I invest in the camera? 1.) Should I have a camera repair facility go through it nd service it? 2.) Is Strauss the place to go or are there better places to have your camera lubed and adjusted? 3.) Should I never mind servicing the camera? Just shoot until I have a broken camera and then dump it?

Thanks!

The R-10 is definately *not* a "shoot n dump" camera. I'd recommend servicing by Duall camera, who I sent my Chinon 200/12XL to. Always get a camera checked out upon purchase, will save you a lot of headache later on, and give you many years of quality filmming.

$0.02...

I'd definately hang on to them.

You never know - 50 years from now you may be dishing out a few grand trying to make your 35mm film look like Super8.

I.E. - Compare vintage vinyl quality to CD or CD-R/Mp3 quality. Sure, CD's blow those old school records out of the water as far as quality, ease of use and memory storage, but how many young bands today are DESPERATELY trying to emulate those 50's, 60's, 70's sounds?

I had to fork out over 700$ for a "top of the line" (yeah right! <_< ) amplifier to get the sound of a vintage amplifier, which back in the day cost around 150$.

..Not to mention the fact that Super8 will always be the "right" choice for certain projects if a specific look or feel is needed for the film.

• Premium Member

John, the most difficult thing to do is justify spending more money to "maintain a camera" than it cost to buy the camera. However, if the camera cost you $1,000, then $300 to maintain it would be a no brainer.

Think of it as you got a $700 discount off the price of the camera and you're only going to spend half of it for maintenance. However I wonder what it is that they are going to do.

I REALLY WISH REPAIR SHOPS WOULD HAVE THE CONFIDENCE TO PUT THEIR CAMERA REPAIR SERVICES ONLINE! I'D PAY FOR AN ONLINE GLIMPSE WHILE THEY WORK ON MY CAMERA! WHAT THE HECK ARE THEY AFRAID OF???

PUT THE REPAIR PROCEDURE ONLINE, GET THE SPEAKER PHONE HOOKED UP, AND TALK TO THE CUSTOMER WHILE YOU WORK ON THEIR CAMERA! (and avoid the word "oops".)

John, the most difficult thing to do is justify spending more money to "maintain a camera" than it cost to buy the camera.  However, if the camera cost you $1,000, then $300 to maintain it would be a no brainer.

Think of it as you got a $700 discount off the price of the camera and you're only going to spend half of it for maintenance.  However I wonder what it is that they are going to do.

Here is what I'm thinking. I buy a Nikon R-10 for $300 and spend $300 for the service.

Reasons for the expendature: 1.) Camera is for long term use and so this would help acheive this. 2.) Camera most likely has not been given any maintenence since its manufacture date of say 1979. So it makes sense if you got a keeper to spend the money. 3.) Camera will preform better when used.

The mindset here is not let's see how cheap I can be but how economical in the short and long run I can approach this hobby/profession. If the camera is not a throw-a-way then even if it cost $300 ($1000 in 1977) then even another $350 IS justifiable. No? Then throw them away and keep trying to find a good one on e-bay that is not someones junk passing it off to another sucker.

• Premium Member
Then throw them away and keep trying to find a good one on e-bay that is not someones junk passing it off to another sucker.

Did you mean, "RATHER" then throw them away and keep trying to find a good one on e-bay that is not someones junk passing it off to another sucker.

Did you mean, "RATHER" then throw them away and keep trying to find a good one on e-bay that is not someones junk passing it off to another sucker.

No I meant if spending $350 for servicing is not an option for a quality $300 camera like an R-10 then are we cheapening our standard and setting ourselves up to eventually throw away a nice camera when it finally gives up the ghost? They are not making super8 cameras anymore (that is under $9000). So why not invest in the future with what we have. If you own a 16mm camera you have it serviced and much more so in 35mm. Why not us? This is actually a new idea for me. I believe that my fooling around with this medium has come to an end and now I'm going to seriously invest in the equipment I purchase. Long term and quality thinking.

People seem to assume that just because the camera shoots a smaller format, it is a less expensive camera to repair. Not so. A Super8 camera is just as difficult to repair as a 16mm, which is just as difficult to repair as a 35mm and even a 70mm or IMAX. They all work the same, iregardless of format. Take your average Filmo and Eyemo, take out the clockwork and set them side-by-side, you'd be hard pressed to see a difference.

I have had dozens of cameras over the years and if it works, why service it? Shoot a test roll before committing to a big or important job with it, but no need to service for the sake of service if it's working fine in my opinion. I only investigate getting a camera fixed if it is broken in some way (and if the broken part is important. For e.g. power zoom is often the first thing to break and that is not worth fixing - don't use it anyway). If a camera is in need of serious service, chances are it's easier and less expensive to just replace it.

Rick

• Premium Member

A primary reason to service the camera is because of lack of lubrication. Lack of lubrication will wear out the motor in no time.

However, my pet peeve is why can't repair places go online so you can view your own camera being repaired. It would be a hoot and make me feel better about the work someone is doing or not doing on a camera of mine if I could interact with them while they work on the camera, or simply just watch.