Super 8 Question!

I just got a couple of Super 8 camera's from a local goodwill and I wanted to get into filming with real film instead!

I got a VTG Kodak XL 362 (which has an automatic eye) and I bought a brand new roll of Kodak Tri-X Reversal Film 7266 I was wondering how to get the automatic eye to read the correct ISO of the film? (there are no settings on the camera to change ISO)

Thanks alot!

Part of the Super 8 design package was "idiot-proofing", hence the drop-in cartridge load system, and also the ability of the film cartridge itself to set the ISO through an ingenious combination of cut-outs on the cartridge and feelers inside the camera body. The problem with this system is that not all cameras were equipped to use all films. Any individual model of camera only had the necessary feelers for the film speeds it was designed to work with. The "XL" in the Kodak XL 362 name indicates that this is a camera optimised for eXisting Light [notice the capital letters] - ie shooting indoors without movie lights. The intended film choice for this camera would have been High-Speed Ektachrome Reversal rated at 160 ASA.

Now the good news - the cut-outs for film speed on 7266 carts match those on the old Ektachrome 160 carts, so the speed should be set accurately. The bad news? XL model cameras have a 230 degree shutter which lets in lots of light, so you will find yourself running into over-exposure issues in bright light. There are workarounds for that [ND filters], but you should probably make sure your camera is working before investing in ND filters to fit. It will be cheaper to simply buy another non-XL Super 8 for outdoors in bright conditions.

Clean the battery terminals, and check for a second smaller battery hatch [button cell size] for the exposure meter. This model may or may not have a second dedicated exposure meter cell - someone else may be more familiar with this model. I checked Super 8 database, but it is inconclusive on that. Here is the link - http://www.super8data.com/database/cameras_list/cameras_kodak/kodak_xl362.htm

Good Luck with your new camera.

shoot roll and project it. that is the best way to see how the camera works. See if it meets your needs and you like it. Personally, I don't think that the lens on that camera is all that great. Cameras are cheap, shop around if super 8 is for you.