Canon C-8 wide attachment 43

Guest Christopher Heston

Guest Christopher Heston

Hi, it's Chris again and I have a question for those of you who have use the Canon C-8 wide attachment 43 for any of the canon super 8 cameras that can use it. I currently won the lense of of ebay, and unfortunatley it does not come with the manual.

I'm assuming that the lense doesn't really need a manual, but I was just wondering if there was anything inparticular about using this lense that I would not know without the manual.

I've read that the C-8 wide 67 for the canon 1014 and 814 should be used with the cameras set to "macro wide" or something like that.

Anyways, does anybody know anything about this attachment that would be helpful to me?

All I know about it is that it is a wide angle conversion lense that allows auto focusing.

-Chris

i picked up the same lens, as it came with a canon 518.

i am not sure if i have to use it with a macro, but it seems fine with a normal camera.

although, the first lens protrudes a fair bit, so i use a spacer to ensure it does not scratch the camera lens.

when projected it has a slight "fish bowl" effect, if shot with indoors, the the edges seem curved inward slightly. i think this is "vignetting"?

i like to use it none the less, it fits much more in.

good luck, Gareth Ross

Guest Christopher Heston
i picked up the same lens, as it came with a canon 518.

i am not sure if i have to use it with a macro, but it seems fine with a normal camera.

although, the first lens protrudes a fair bit, so i use a spacer to ensure it does not scratch the camera lens.

when projected it has a slight "fish bowl" effect, if shot with indoors, the the edges seem curved inward slightly.  i think this is "vignetting"?

i like to use it none the less, it fits much more in.

good luck, Gareth Ross

The 310xl does have a macro setting. I guess I'm set. Thank you.

-Chris

Guest Ian Marks

I've noticed that add-on wide angle adapers seem to come in two flavors - those intended for use with macro-focussing zooms set at their widest focal length with the macro feature engaged, and those for lenses without the macro feature, which can be used on "regular" zooms.

The Nizo UW lenses are the first type - you must use them with a macro focusing lens (they will also work with wide angle prime lenses which focus into the macro range, but this isn't usually an option when working in Super 8). The Aspherons are the same way. You can tell these because they are fairly shallow compared to the others - like oversized filters with a very bulbous front element.

The Angenieux "retro-zoom" attachment is an example of the second, and (I think) your C8 falls into this category too (it seems that Canon has made more than one attachment called a "C8" over the years). These are deeper than the other type, usually a couple of inches or so, and seem to be comprised of multiple elements. Their front elements don't have the same extreme curvature as the first type, but you can hang them in front of just about anything.

• Premium Member

Perhaps Canon does call more one than one type of lens attachment a "C-8".

The deeper ones would be therefore be called a "zoom through", the shallower ones are for use with the macro wide setting on the camera. However, if the zoom throughs are anything like the century precision lenses made for professional video cameras, they usually offer approximately a 20% wider view than what you are currently getting, which is not that close to what the wide angle macro's can do, however the wide angle macro's aren't zoomeable at all whereas with the "zoom through" you keep the whole zoom range of the lens, except that it's just a wider version.

A "zoom through" that ADDS 20% to the telephoto and thusly, makes the wide angle not as wide was also made by Canon. Now the question is did Canon make two zoom throughs, or just one? If they only made one, then it's probably a telephoto zoom through enhancer rather than a wide angle zoom through enhancer.

Guest Christopher Heston
Perhaps Canon does call more one than one type of lens attachment a "C-8".

The deeper ones would be therefore be called a "zoom through", the shallower ones are for use with the macro wide setting on the camera.  However, if the zoom throughs are anything like the century precision lenses made for professional video cameras, they usually offer approximately a 20% wider than what you are currently getting, which is not that close to what the wide angle macro's can do, however the wide angle macro's aren't zoomeable at all whereas with the "zoom through" you keep the whole zoom range of the lens, except that it's just a wider version.

A "zoom through" that ADDS 20% to the telephoto and thusly, makes the wide angle not as wide was also made by Canon.  Now the question is did Canon make two zoom throughs, or just one?  If they only made one, then it's probably a telephoto enhancer rather than a wide angle enhancer.

Well, in the manual for the 310xl, it states exactly this:

C-8 Wide Attachment Lens 43

This is an attachment lens for super wide-angle shooting. Set the lens wide-angle macrophotography and shoot at a fixed focal length. This camera uses the focal length of 5.5mm. When the exposure is more than f/4, the focal length is most suitable at 0.8 m to infinity, so you can concentrate on photographing without worrying about focusing.

-Chris

Guest Ian Marks

I have a Canon C8 wide angle supplementary lens with a 55mm thread, so there are at least 2 "C8's."

Yep, there are multiple "C-8"'s.

I once thought I was getting a deal on ebay, until I got it, and it turned out to be one of the smaller ones.

The one to get, is the 67mm C-8 that was made for the 1014 & 814, and it's not a zoom-through, you need a macro lens to use it.

Matt Pacini