Trucker's vs. Rolling Hitch?

Max Gutfeld

I've always been taught to use a trucker's hitch when securing a large frame outside. However, I'm a big fan of the rolling hitch, and I've noticed I can actually get my ropes even tighter when I use it instead of the trucker's. It also seems a little quicker to me.

So my question is- is a trucker's hitch more secure for some reason (I tie extra loops in my rolling hitch when securing a frame)? Why is it preferred to a rolling hitch? Or is this just a case of, 'because thats how we do it.'

Similar in principle to a Prussic hitch, the rolling hitch will not work with certain ropes. Also to leave unattended, I would prefer a truckers hitch. It should be fine for most applications, except while using some modern ropes such as Polypropylene or Dyneema.

+1 to the solid information above. If you were to read a book (who does that today?) on knots written from a sailing perspective, you would find that some knots described are not recommended to be used with slippery synthetics like Poly, etc., other knots are not to be used for hanging loads, still other tend to self-untie under little or no load and require a backup knot on the free end, while others tighten up to the point of being impossible to un-tie.