Turtles Can Fly

Does anyone know what format "Turtles Can Fly" (Iraq/Iran 2004) was shot on? it looks like 35mm, but the production stills I've seen are all quite rough and look more like 16 which is confusing...

(amazing film by the way)

Guest Y.M.Poursohi

Hi

I am pretty sure it is 35mm and the camera might be a BL4, I saw a photo that showed a miniDV camera rigged on top of the 35mm as a poorman's video assist. It is a disturbing film, land mines injuring and killing kids happens all the time and they are still manufactured in many countries. A few scenes were too touch feely for me with all the kids crying. But it was a chilling reminder of my own childhood.

Y

there were a lot of crying kids....but i actually interpreted the noise as a comic touch to the film (but maybe thats a cultural misunderstanding- the language and culture is difficult to put across to foreign audiences i think).

where did you spend your childhood? not many people ijn the west now can lay claim to identifying with such a harsh depiction of life...

Guest Y.M.Poursohi

Grew up in Iran. I found the photo I was talking about. About the craying kids": it being as the noise" is an interesting concept and one of the kids who kept crrying because others were doing so was funny. But I find for my taste the more restrain used in certain dramatic situations it works better. The good example was the young girl, she was in a constant mood taking care of the "brother" and staying away from the other kids since she was no lonegr just a kid, the forced adult hood made her a quiet one. An interesting undertone in the film was how kids had to act like adults, go collect land mines, make a living and etc, and adults acting like kids. It is true that war and political witchhunting as it happens in the film too changes the role of poeple living in a place and becomes like an everyday aspect of life. It is only when an individual steps away from that enviornment that s/he realizes how f***ed up it is, as in th film the kid Satelite was just being a clever kid, but then through meeting the young girl, slowly falling for her and the landmine scene at the end he is removed from his seemingly normal kid life and sees as an adult what has happened to him.

I like that the film shows the Kurds being screwed by all the countries around them, Turkey, Iran, Iraq. While each of those governments has big stains on their human rights records( I can only speak fo Iran ), the Kurds maneged to get it from all three sides.

Y

post-2858-1113239901.jpg