Applying a 'dusty' look to an optical flat

Hello everyone,

I'm shooting a scene involving a character who's been locked in what would visually equate to an underground prison cell for many years and my intention is to create a very dark and gritty look. So, I've been exploring different ways to do that in camera as well as through lighting and I am wondering if anybody has experience applying a 'dusty' look to a clear optical flat filter? Is there some kind of spray I can buy and apply to it without causing any damage to the filter?

I'd like the scene to appear almost as though we're seeing it through a dirty window pane with a texture similar to the photo below.

xepgn9.jpg

Matt

• Premium Member

Unless you are going to stop down enough so that the front of the filter starts to come into focus, or use a much larger piece of glass farther from the lens, or use a small sensor camera with a lot of depth of field... you aren't going to see any dust particle effect on the filter because it will be too out of focus. At that point, something like a Smoque filter or a LowCon would be enough to have a bit of haze. I mention a small sensor camera because when you stop down too much, filter patterns like the black specks on a Black Promist do start to come into focus enough to feel like a dirty lens. GlimmerGlass also has a similar effect because of the silver glitter on the filter.

If you were using one of those depth of field adaptors that project a lens image onto a groundglass surface, that can also add that texture to the image. Some people have even set-up a large format camera, like an 8x10, and rephotographed the image on the focusing screen.

Thanks for the quick response, David. I'd like to keep the dust particles out of focus, but obviously I want them to play on camera, so what I think I will do then is use a larger piece of glass like you said. Because this is only a short section of a much larger narrative, using a smaller censor camera won't be financially possible. I will however have a smoque filter on-hand for some other scenes, so I might as well see how it looks for this one as well. Thanks again. :)

Edited by Matthew Greiner

• 5 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

using a smaller censor camera won't be financially possible.

Have to say it - I can't even find the words to express how happy this sentence makes me. It's not something I'd ever have imagined hearing just 5 years ago!