Difference Between Kern Paillard Yvar 13mm f:1.9 and Yvar 13mm f:1.8

Mustafa Umut Sarac

Is there a quality difference between these two lenses. I saw some excellent shots with digital camera and 1.8 but I could not find the same job with 1.9.

All I found about 1.9 is junk , I am not claiming lens is worse but shooters were extreme amateurs with cheap processing.

And I found there are too many 1.9 for sell and all the digital shooters uses 1.8.

Why is that ?

Umut

Istanbul

If it's wide open, the focus has to be perfect for it to work. You'll probably have a lot better luck with a lot more light and closing the aperture as much as you can get away with (say an f8.0 or f11.0), to minimize depth of field problems.

Without reflex viewing, your best bet is to go off focusing marks. That said, it's anybody's guess how well it'll work in a 60 year old lens. If the work is critical, you'll need to have the lens checked over and the back focus adjusted. If you have a digital camera that can be adapted to a d-mount lens (like a Pentax Q) you could test it with a tripod and a tape measure.

Off hand I don't know what the minimum focus is on that lens (My C8 has a SOM Berthoit zoom on it). It's probably printed on the barrel of the lens (it looks that way in the photos). Again, lenses never perform best at the extremes. You'll have better results focusing somewhere in between the minimum focusing distance and infinity.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Is there a quality difference between these two lenses. I saw some excellent shots with digital camera and 1.8 but I could not find the same job with 1.9.

All I found about 1.9 is junk , I am not claiming lens is worse but shooters were extreme amateurs with cheap processing.

And I found there are too many 1.9 for sell and all the digital shooters uses 1.8.

Why is that ?

Umut

I

Why is that ?

Umut

Istanbul

The different as I see is the 1.9 is older version, and 1.8 is newer, and the latest 1.8 lens has fixed filter ring inside the aperture ring, that it let the filter keep the same position while changing aperture.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...