Yashica Super 60 E

Guest Christopher Heston

Guest Christopher Heston

Hi, I currently own, but have not shot any footage on a Yashica Super 8 SU 60-E camera. I boaught the camera online for 5 dollars. It has electric zoom, a 48mm zoom lens, 12, 18, and 24fps, backlight and spolight control. It also came with a remote.

Question:

Is this camera just some retro junk, or can this camera be considered a good super 8 camera comparable to canon, nizo??

-Chris

• Premium Member

Ha Ha, Retro Junk.

Yashica's were popular for doing dissolves. At least I remember having a filmart instructor way back when who did a lot of dissolving with a Yashica Super-8 camera. The images he came up with were fine.

It looks like your camera has some nice filming speed options, my one concern is whether your camera has manual exposure capability or not.

Hopefully you can also do single frame.

Guest Christopher Heston
Ha Ha, Retro Junk.

Yashica's were popular for doing dissolves.  At least I remember having a filmart instructor way back when who did a lot of dissolving with a Yashica Super-8 camera.    The images he came up with were fine.

It looks like your camera has some nice filming speed options, my one concern is whether your camera has manual exposure capability or not.

Hopefully you can also do single frame.

There is no manual exposure, it automatically adjusts your f/stops. Single frame yes. And from the fact that I can remove the lens, I think I could use different lenses.

There is no manual exposure, it automatically adjusts your f/stops.  Single frame yes.  And from the fact that I can remove the lens, I think I could use different lenses.

I own a SuperElectronic 40, admittedly not the same camera, but close enough. It never lets me down. It is always my back up camera. It always has worked. Yes, it is not as proffessional a camea as a Nizo or Beaulieu, but it is extremely reliable. I bought mine for $10 and have never serviced it and it still works. What else can I say; the lens is pretty sharp, good contrast. Buy it, you won't regret it.

Chris

B)

Guest Christopher Heston
I own a SuperElectronic 40, admittedly not the same camera, but close enough. It never lets me down. It is always my back up camera. It always has worked. Yes, it is not as proffessional a camea as a Nizo or Beaulieu, but it is extremely reliable. I bought mine for $10 and have never serviced it and it still works. What else can I say; the lens is pretty sharp, good contrast. Buy it, you won't regret it.

Chris

B)

Are the lenses interchangeable since they can be screwed off?

Are the lenses interchangeable since they can be screwed off?

My camera has the intergrated lens, it can not be removed. Not at least with out taking the camera apart. I have not heard of a Yashica that had removable lenses. Can you post an image or email me a photo? I am quite interested.

chris

:D

• 1 year later...

I'm not really into Super8, but I got two cameras via a friend. It concerns the Yashica Su 60-E and Canon 514XL-S. Unfortunately, the Canon doesn't seem to be functioning (the only thing that work is the lightmeter; sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't).

The 60 E works like a charm, although I haven't gotten around to actually shooting any film. Heck, I wouldn't even know where to get Super8 film anywhere nearby. It seems seriously inferior to the Canon because it lacks sound, EE lock, accessory shoe, macro and single frame progress. On the other hand, it does have spotlight and backlight exposure compensation and a superoir f1.4 lens. Most noteworthy is that indeed, like Christopher said, the lens can be unscrewed, revealing the zoom gear within. I will post a photograph when I get around to it. I've blogged some photographs and other background information here, for those interested.

Although I'm astounded that the 60 E is in near mint condition after all those years, I've heard that the zoom motor is extremely sensitive and suggest you use it with caution. For example, do not hold the zoom buttons in after the lens has stopped moving.

I will post elsewhere about hopefully getting the 514XL-S working again.

Guest santo
Is this camera just some retro junk, or can this camera be considered a good super 8 camera comparable to canon...

Worrying about or comparing the differences in quality between a Yashica and a Canon Japanazoom is like worrying about the differences between a 1978 Subaru and a 1978 Datsun.

Hi there,

I'm not sure what the "Ha Ha" was all about. It was $5. If it works, you can't go wrong for $5 bucks. Heck, evern if it didn't work, it was only five bucks. I have $200 worth of broken H8s in my closet that I don't feel all that badly about. Considering the amout of good equipment I've gotten on the cheap, I'l still way ahead. I recently took the plunge again and bought 2 cameras for a total cost of $40. If one works I'll be a happy boy.

The only thing I would mention is that if it is a "K40" only camera, look into getting some film for it ASAP.

For me, keeping my 8mm shooting on a low budget is part of the appeal. I like the hunting and restoring.

Personally, I think if you're going to spend real money on equipment, rather than buying a "good" super 8 camera, you'd be better off getting a little 16mm set up. With K3s going for around $200, it becomes an attractive option. I was floored by the difference between 8mm and 16mm. Yes, film is more expensive, but well worth it. But it all depends what you want.

Have fun with the camera.

Joe

• Premium Member
Hi there,

I'm not sure what the "Ha Ha" was all about.

Joe

Yeah, I realize now it wasn't clear. I meant, ha ha, retro junk, as in funny description.

The camera is very acceptable but I am surprised it has a screw off lens. Um, not screw off as in it goofs around, but as in, screws off.