Expired super8 film?!??!??

Chris Alex

Hi

Im about to get a bunch of Kodak Ektachrome 160 super8 cartridges.

There expired but kept frozen (thats what the seller says).

What results would i have filming with them?

Will any color be missing? Should i overexpose or undersxpose the film?

Any experience from anybody with such experience is welcomed.

The issue with old Ektachrome for me is getting it processed. Our local super 8 labs don't handle it any more so it has to be sent away to a specialty lab and at that cost it's less expensive to shoot fresh stock where I also have more confidence in the emulsion.

Rick

The issue with old Ektachrome for me is getting it processed. Our local super 8 labs don't handle it any more so it has to be sent away to a specialty lab and at that cost it's less expensive to shoot fresh stock where I also have more confidence in the emulsion.

Rick

You will get color, although it may be very desaturated. I shot part of a short with about 11 rolls of Ektachrome and I could not have been happier. Keep in mind that the image will be less than perfect, but that is relative. I wanted the old film look and that is what I got. No plugin in the world can match what you can get from old emulsions. Embrace what it is and have fun with it.

chris

:rolleyes:

Guest Christopher Heston
You will get color, although it may be very desaturated. I shot part of a short with about 11 rolls of Ektachrome and I could not have been happier. Keep in mind that the image will be less than perfect, but that is relative. I wanted the old film look and that is what I got. No plugin in the world can match what you can get from old emulsions. Embrace what it is and have fun with it.

chris

:rolleyes:

What about old Kodachrome from 1990 and old plus and tri-x from 1984??

I've shot 5 year old Kodachrome and it was fine, but I bought it new, so I can verify that it was in fact frozen the whole time.

Keep in mind that radiation affects film over time, regardless of it being in the freezer.

1984 - forget it.

1990 - probably crap.

Not everyone agrees with me on this, but personally, I think Super 8 ektachrome 160 looks like absolute rubbish, and I've shot a lot of it. (about 100+ rolls), so it wouldn't be worth it even if it were new, IMO.

Matt Pacini

Guest Christopher Heston

I just recieved a processed roll of VERY old kodachrome (1990); there was absolutley no color distortion or desaturation. I still can't belive it. A 15 year old roll of film that was NOT stored in proper conditions (the roll of film came pre-loaded into a camera I bought off of ebay.)

I shot the footage with a different camera (a canon 310xl) It is simply amazing that I got any picture at all, let alone everything I shot!! Aboslutley no color desaturation or anything. AMAZING!!!

-Chris