Problem with my Sankyo em-60xl.

Kelsey Espinoza

Hello, I have a Sankyo em-60xl super 8 camera. I bought this around the end of August and have used it successfully for 4 short projects. about a week ago when I was shooting something for this last project, I turned it off to take a break and when I turned the camera back on, I couldn't see anything through the view finder. There is an open and close switch on the side which I actually haven't touched that in a while, I tried it and nothing happens. When I start it up everything sounds like it's working just fine, I also changed the batteries to make sure it's not just dying on me too, maybe it's just stuck? Does anyone know what's going on and how to fix it and if it matters? It sounds like it's working and I haven't been able to run some film through it to see if anything turned up because I need to use it very soon and can't really wait. I have a backup camera to use just in case, but I like this one better. I'm new to super 8 and I'm still learning about how the cameras work, thank you for any help.

Your camera has got at least two mirrors: a semi-transparent one that sits between lens and film and that "splits" the light so that it goes onto the film and into the viewfinder. And then there's another mirror that redirects the light by 90 degrees so that the viewfinder can be placed at the camera's rear.

I fear that one of these mirrors isn't at the correct position any more.

Of course the light's path to the viewfinder could have "collapsed".

It also sounds that your camera has got a shutter to close the viewfinder (to prevent light falling through the viewfinder onto the film in case you're not looking through the viewfinder while the camera is running). Maybe that shutter is broken and stuck at the "closed" position?

Jörg

Kelsey,take a look into the camera. The Sankyo is very easy to open on the side of the switches. At this side there are 4 screws. One screw is hidden , you find it between the switches of 18/24/40 and the intervalometer.Then the cover can be folded away. Also, the underlying board is fixed with screws and can be pulled out. But I do not know how your problem can be fixed.

Kind regards

Henry

Thank you both! I have a feeling that the shutter you were talking about just won't open any more. If I shine a flashlight into the lens, it looks like when you shine a light through a layer of black plastic and you can faintly make out a very dim glow. I don't know if there's anything you can do to fix that, you said it could be to keep the light out from entering the camera through the view finder, so maybe...you know, I actually bought this camera for $10 and it was working really great for a while, I think I might just try to find another one and open my old one up to look at it when I have some free time. Thank you!

Also My backup camera is a Canon, I can't remember which model, but I still like the Sankyo a just a little better. Are there any other cameras you can suggest?

Hello,

I like the Sankyo for day trips,as it is very light in weight, but gives very sharp images. Also, the macro is good ..
I bought my Sankyo for 1 euro ($ 1.3).
I also had a problem with my camera: The camera always worked excellent. until it had a total failure .It did no longer go running.
I opened the camera and noticed the defect: The switch for 18/24/40 !!

The switch is fixed at the back of the board with a screw and secured with varnish,too. This screw was loose. It was easy to fix it.
My favorite camera is the Nikon R-10, absolutely reliable , it never had a failure. The pictures are amazingly sharp, as It has 2 claws (the second holds the film for a moment like a woodpecker, when shooting .).

But it is often difficult to find a well-functioning Nikon R-10. Anyone who owns a Nikon R-10, he never sell it ( if he is still shooting with Super 8).

Henry