Wrapping Light in Meet Joe Black

Stuart Allman

One of my favourites happened just the other year: I was in Atlanta. My gaffer was a local 20 year veteran. I asked him to soften a 5K for me and he put a single scrim in and came back and said "There, that's a bit softer". :rolleyes:

I'm not saying it right or wrong but there are many left coast electricians that refer to scrims as "diffusion". I personally don't agree.

best

Tim

I ran another lighting test on our actual actor today and the director was happy with our final configuration. I managed to get a nice soft wrap around our actress, which was more of a challenge because she has much darker skin than the northern brit Clair Forlani. I took some pictures and I'll likely place them on my blog some time this weekend. I'll post when the pictures are up.

Thanks for all the help. The trick was trying to emulate film flashing. That made the wrap transition as smooth as I expected.

Stuart

---------------------

illuma.blogspot.com

I put a write up of our final lighting test on my blog with pictures if anyone wants to see our test results. Photography starts next Saturday.

http://illuma.blogspot.com/2013/11/cinema-lighting-wraping-light-around.html

I think it will work out quite nicely. Many thanks go our to David, Guy, and Tim for their replies. Hopefully I get to share this film with you someday. The producer/director team are known for their long post production time, so David...don't be surprised if I catch up with you six months from now at an ASC breakfast talk with my laptop.

Stuart
--------------------------
illuma.blogspot.com

Nice write-up, Stuart.

Might I suggest you aim the fresnels into the center of the reflector boards.

I found that using the rear book light in a more traditional bounce and the front book light in half bounce, half shoot through gave me much better fall off.

Oh - I see. You tried that. Good work.

wrap_configuration_highup.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Tim,

You can see some of the final photography from our production on my latest blog post if you're interested. I transferred over the footage for delivery to the post production team, so I grabbed a few frames in the process. No color grading has been done yet.

http://illuma.blogspot.com/2013/12/a-few-pictures-from-coder-god.html

S.

At 0:21 You can just make out the catchlights in her eyes. The Key looks like it is at about 4 o'clock in the shot with fill from about 8 o'clock. They both look like large diffussion frames to me. Either use a large 8'x8' diffussion frame or if you are on a tighter budget use a large white muslin and used bounced light. You could also use a bunch of white chinese lanterns as a bank of these would effectively work as one large soft light. She also has a bit of rim lighting which is most likely coming from the out of focus practicals in the background. The shot lens looks like a 75mm to me - though this lens guessing business is difficult. If however, they did use a tele then the compression of space will make them look as though they are standing closer.

Also look out for glasses 0:17, they can give clues to lighting. Clearly this is one large softbox and the glass is picking up the fill from 9 o'clock here.