Christopher Nolan's peek at "INTERSTELLAR"

Thankyou!

I've just been wondering about his new film as I was just thinking about Inception the other day and then thinking "I wonder what his new movie will be like?"

Having said that it does seem like "us" in this movie is the people of the good ole US of A and there is more stock footage in that trailer than an Ed Wood movie, but what the hey I like Ed Wood! :)

I did really like the title "One year from now" tho. Sounds classy compared to most movies.

Thanks for posting this! :)

Freya

Actually, there are a couple of shots in the "stock footage" that we shot and vfx made to look archeival. I'm not telling which ones! ;)

G

AWESOME! Well everyone is falling fall it! I just saw someone tweeting they were excited it is going to be a documentary!

The rocket ships and car kind of make me think of Gattaca too which is one of my all time fave movies. Plan 9 meets Gattaca! Should be interesting. :)

Didn't realise you were involved BTW! I thought you were fast on the uptake! Now I know why!

I see you also worked on one of the batman movies! ;)

Freya

Also... really liking the score on this. Especially when it reaches the climactic bit and starts almost sounding like Wendy Carlos or something!

Please tell me the cockpit shots are fake. The first one looks like something Ed would create if he had a small budget, and the second is kind of just plain disturbing. I'm convinced that the dustbowl shot with the tractor in is faked. It looks a bit time out of joint, especially the tractor thing whatever it is.

Who is the tv presenter? That's a great shot of him?

Freya

Edited by Freya Black

• Premium Member

It's not a doc. It's Chris' first Sci-Fi. The music is Hans Zimmer. And as for the faked shots, well I guess we did pretty good because the ones you mentioned are not them! The TV newscaster is the legendary Walter Cronkite who anchored the CBS News for decades. That a real moment of him reacting to NASA's successful moon landing in 1969. Thanks Freya!

G

• Upvote 1

It's not a doc. It's Chris' first Sci-Fi. The music is Hans Zimmer. And as for the faked shots, well I guess we did pretty good because the ones you mentioned are not them! The TV newscaster is the legendary Walter Cronkite who anchored the CBS News for decades. That a real moment of him reacting to NASA's successful moon landing in 1969. Thanks Freya!

G

That's very disturbing then because a) Ed Wood wasn't that far off going by that jet cockpit shot. I can understand his thinking on that having seen that footage now, and b) what on earth is reflected in that astronauts helmet then!!! Yikes!

I gathered it wasn't a doc, but people are getting taken in by the stock footage all over! :)

The most suspicious shot is the over the shoulder shot as the spaceship looks not quite right and it's too devoid of detail having just a few hats, but I refuse to believe that you couldn't have found footage like that anywhere, maybe I'm wrong tho and from an editing point of view it makes a nice match to the over the shoulder footage later on, so maybe that is important.

The only other shots are the one where a woman is holding a transistor radio in a really odd fashion, and the one where the baby moves across the screen. The latter is such a great shot that it immediately set my alarm bells ringing, except that there's nothing about those shots that look fake. Even the cameras look right for the context which is usually a bit of a give away. In fact they look just right and are full of people, those shots would be difficult but not impossible to fake. There's nothing about them that looks fake however, they look really spot on. The dustbowl stuff looks more wrong.

I cant see anything out of the ordinary in any of the other shots at all!

So basically you guys really did an amazing job because I'm looking for stuff and I can't find it.

Congrats!

Please keep us updated on new trailers! :)

Freya

Having said that it does seem like "us" in this movie is the people of the good ole US of A

Freya

Well when you guys land your OWN rocket powered RV on the moon six, count 'em, 1,2,3,4,5,6 times and bring a few bad ass space dune buggies with you just so you can jump over moon dunes, the people in the movie can be you folks :D

Edited by James Steven Beverly
  • Upvote 1

I hadn't realized that Nolan was doing a remake of "The Astronaut Farmer"...

Oh ouch, a very rare "burn" post from David Mullen :huh:

R,

Well when you guys land your OWN rocket powered RV on the moon six, count 'em, 1,2,3,4,5,6 times and bring a few bad ass space dune buggies with you just so you can jump over moon dunes, the people in the movie can be you folks :D

It was more the use of the word "us". As you point out, the brits havn't landed anything on the moon to the best of my knowledge. (unless it involved modified Haunebu's or something) However we are told again and again that Christopher Nolan and Jonathon Nolan are brits. I now understand that like most things in the more successful side of the British film industry that people like to point at, this is not entirely the case as they both have strong American backgrounds.

Having said that Jet aircraft are not an American invention I guess. Maybe they didn't intend it to come across quite the way it does...

...and coming at it from another angle it's worth noting that the first known people in space were cosmonauts of course.

In any case the movie is coming from the perspective of the narrator, who is American and it is of course an American movie made for Americans presumably. We will have to wait and see the full movie down the line to see where it is actually coming at things from.

I just get annoyed by the use of the word "us" in a lot of productions these days. It actually happens a lot on the BBC. One recent example was some British Toff in Africa wringing his hands about the slave trade and his ancestors involvement. I was like "YOUR ancestors mate, my ancestors weren't involved in the slave trade". There is a wide variety of stuff like this on the BBC.

Freya

It was more the use of the word "us". As you point out, the brits havn't landed anything on the moon to the best of my knowledge. (unless it involved modified Haunebu's or something) However we are told again and again that Christopher Nolan and Jonathon Nolan are brits. I now understand that like most things in the more successful side of the British film industry that people like to point at, this is not entirely the case as they both have strong American backgrounds.

Having said that Jet aircraft are not an American invention I guess. Maybe they didn't intend it to come across quite the way it does...

...and coming at it from another angle it's worth noting that the first known people in space were cosmonauts of course.

In any case the movie is coming from the perspective of the narrator, who is American and it is of course an American movie made for Americans presumably. We will have to wait and see the full movie down the line to see where it is actually coming at things from.

I just get annoyed by the use of the word "us" in a lot of productions these days. It actually happens a lot on the BBC. One recent example was some British Toff in Africa wringing his hands about the slave trade and his ancestors involvement. I was like "YOUR ancestors mate, my ancestors weren't involved in the slave trade". There is a wide variety of stuff like this on the BBC.

Freya

I hope you know I was totally joking, although the trailer does seem to harken to a perceived abandonment of the pioneering spirit that drove us to our embarkational foray among the cosmos in which the United States led the way and the desire to rekindle that dream, but with the advent of the moon landing and the introduction of the ISS, "US" would seem to be more appropriate as a term for humanity. HOWEVER, "US" also stands for "United States" so you know in a big blockbuster movie it's gonna be all about "us". :P

Wow! And all I intended was to share a "first look"!

Heh heh! I'm very much over analysing it I'm sure!

I'm really looking forward to this movie because I do suspect it's going to be more intelligent than most Hollywood fare and these days there's quite a gulf between the live action comic book stuff and the very low budgets on which more intelligent movies are possible. I know it attracts a lot of jokes but I did like Inception a fair bit and I thought Following was a great movie, so I'm keen to see what the gang can get up to away from Batman movies.

I'm also a film fan which makes me root for Christopher Nolan in that sense too.

...and as David suggests, I'm sure we would all love to hear any cinematography details! Cameras/Formats/Lenses/Filters/Lighting, anything you can tell us!

Freya

• Premium Member

Thanks for posting the link, Greg!

I'm excited to see the movie. Any technical details you can tell us? Did they shoot any 5-perf 65mm or 15-perf IMAX? Any digital?

I would love to disclose details but due to a signed non-disclosure agreement, I would be foolish to do so. Details to come after some time has passed. Hope you all understand.

G

According to Panavision they used XL2s and C and E Series lenses.

The Canon XL2??!!

Seriously tho, I wish I lived in a world where I saw the letters XL2 and didn't immediately think "Oh that funky old canon camera that arrived at the tail end of the standard definition era, I quite liked that."

Here's what Shawn is talking about:

http://www.panavision.com/products/xl2

I have to say I wouldn't even recognise it if I saw it on a set (which would be VERY unlikely) but it does look quite nice and compact.

Freya

I would love to disclose details but due to a signed non-disclosure agreement, I would be foolish to do so. Details to come after some time has passed. Hope you all understand.

G

No Problem, we've run into that a few times here. I think it's kind of silly as you would think it would be an opportunity to create a get a bit of pre-release buzz going around a movie, but I'm sure we all understand that you have to look after yourself and play be the rules that they have set.

Freya