Wanted - Leicina Special Electrical Release

Guest Glenn Brady

Guest Glenn Brady

Two cable releases were available for use with the Leicina Special – a mechanical release (code 22 219) and an electrical (code unknown), each fitting different sockets on the top of the camera and both fitting the handgrip/shoulder stock (code nos. 14 188 and 14 239). The electrical release, which isn’t mentioned in the factory brochure or the instruction book for the Leicina Special, plugs into the same nine-pin socket as the ST-1 control unit (code 22 227). I’d seen such an electrical release offered on eBay years ago, but I can’t find any information about it now. Does anyone have any information about this release and, more importantly, any suggestions about where I might obtain one?

Glenn,

Do you happen to have the Leicina ST1 manual? i.e. http://www.apecity.com/manuals/pdf/leica_leicina_st-1.pdf There are detailed wiring diagrams of the relevant pin outs regarding the odd non-standard 9 pin European connector on the camera. This connector was shared by all three models, i.e. Super, RT-1, Special.

I suspect the gentleman who runs this web site may be able to whip something up. He has extensive experience with the older electronics of our beloved analog machines, i.e. http://www.az-spectrum.com/

I hope this helps.

Nicholas

Guest Glenn Brady

Hi, Nicholas

Yes, I've got the ST-1 manual, and even the very detailed twenty-eight page factory manual (in German, alas) showing all of the various ways of configuring the camera with the ST-1 for double system sound, remote control, and other functions, but the release cable for which I'm searching has that nine-pin connector (which may or may not be proprietary) and, at the opposite end, a special piece that's secured by a set screw in the handgrip. I've made an adapter to accommodate an ordinary manual cable release in the handgrip, but it's the factory electrical release I want.

Best,

Glenn

Hi Glenn,

I see. I wish you all the best with your searches. I see how a few of us need to pool our extensive Leicina Special resources. I have the official factory micofiche with detailed part blowups. Some of it is in German.

Cheers!

Nicholas

It fits the original Leitz shoulder pod precisely. This pod fits the camera just right to make it a

handcamera rather than a tripod- or labmachine

The wire is just enough to use it as remote control or in the shoulder pod.

It is very smooth and doesn't make the camera jump when you activate it.

Getting one requires a lot of patience or many miles on photoshows and good relations with Leitz/Leica sellers :)

Edited by Andries Molenaar

Hi Glenn, not long ago I was offered the release plus should stock but the price... meanwhile I have the shoulder stock in mint condition for €50,- and made a DIY release which works fine. But I have a photo of the original release - maybe that helps?

rudolf

post-62376-0-60088500-1389047927_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...
Guest Glenn Brady

Fortunately, I was able to acquire one for far less money. Thanks for remembering!

Guest Glenn Brady

Where did you find yours, Glenn?

eBay.Deutschland. The release was supplied with the shoulder stock and universal handgrip (and still cost just over $200.00).

Guest Glenn Brady

You are hardcore. Perhaps I could borrow it some time and replicate the pin outs for the weird rectangular connector top side.

Somewhere, I've seen a diagram showing the configuration. I'll try to find it. Even if you had that, however,the piece that slides into the handgrip might be expensive to replicate unless you had access to a machine shop.

Guest Glenn Brady

Ah, the diagram I recall seeing is one you to which provided a link in this thread!

ST-1 are frequent and often at a bargain. These of course have the cable with a Leicina connector. It would be hard to obtain a single connector cheaper than with a ST-1 I think. Sometimes $2 components from the past can now sell at Euro 40

Through the DIN taperecorder connector you an connect to the remote. Also using a female DIN you could adapt to the cable directly and connect your own switch(es). Or Arduino like apparati. The ST-1 does most work but maybe frame-counting or advanced exposure control could be of use/desired. :)

Edited by Andries Molenaar

I once purchased 3 ST-1s (they were only available as 3) only to discover, when they eventually arrived, that none had the camera cable - the cable was all I was really after! But one of the ST-1s came with a circuit diagram, which was nice. I eventually acquired a 4th ST-1, ensuring it had a camera cable first!

Prior to this I had built a custom plug to fit the 9 pin jack on the top of the camera - but my skills at the time were such that it didn't have a very firm grip. It was for an intervalometer circuit I had built. It worked really well, even if I had to gaffer tape the plug to the camera.

C

A custom remote control is easy enough to make.

You can test the concept of such easily enough. Just use a wire to connect pin 1 to pin 8. You won't damage the camera. Connecting the pins will activate the camera (either start shooting, open the shutter, or take a single frame depending on what mode you are in). Disconnecting the pins stops the camera, or closes the shutter, depending on what mode the camera is in.

The ability to do long exposure photography (control shutter time) is not something you'll find on many Super8 cameras.

So anyway, all that's required for a remote control is to run a wire from each pin to a switch (or push button). And make a plug for such setup for a more portable (on location) solution.

When making a plug you'll want to find pins that are thick enough to be firmly gripped by the camera socket, but of course not too thick that they don't fit!

C