Protector/UV Filters and image degradation

I would say most people don't keep any of those filters on their lenses at all times, since most of us will be using matteboxes. Maybe, on a red, for example, you may keep a hot mirror in, or an optical flat ect.

I realize that it isn't common to protect rented lenses. Only to care for them obviously. But when you have your own set naked front elements become a problem when you look at them every time you use those lenses. Or at least for me...

I've recently sold all but a couple of Nikkors I had and bought a set of 5 Zeiss ZF.2s which I want them to last. I'm considering attaching Hoyas HD flats or UVs. Nonetheless I'm concerned with "side effects" from those filters on final IQ. I guess I can always remove them when shooting since I'll be doing that with MB almost of the time.

• Premium Member

Wouldn't you have lens caps on both sides of the lens when in storage anyway? But if it's for your own piece of mind, I would just get a optically clear filter from a good brand--- tiffen or Schneider or Formatt and worry less about image degradation as it would be minimal at best, the filter can be removed, and this is assuming the camera it's going on is actually discerning enough.