Hello everyone!

So, I thought I'd share my very first reel with you. I'm open for feedback and reasonable criticism is more than welcome (I'm also an artist and composer so I'm used to being knocked around). I really appriciate all the help the "old guard" has given me so far. The Vimeo HD version should be done processing about 15 minutes as of this post.

https://vimeo.com/83831366

Thanks, again!

• 2 weeks later...

John, I'm a DP/Videographer, with over 15 yrs experience....in looking at your reel, since it's your first one, IMO

1) Are you seeking work or just getting feedback on how to be better ?

2) Color needs work, since it's mostly muted colors and overcast, which isn't flattering, but the tree line shot is better

3) vary the focal lengths, since it looks like it from a 50mm lens.....put more wider shots, pans, rack focus, etc, that way it's not so boring using just one focal length

4) the sink shot needed much better framing, since the point of action is the SEE the action....my eyes were directed more towards the items on the sink

Music was very good, but here's my reel, just to show you what I've done

• Upvote 1

Thanks, Paul! Very insightful feedback. Yes, I'm looking for ways to improve my photography overall. For work, I am a director. The 50mm is the only lens I have at present. I'm looking to pick up a few more. I appreciate the color advice. This is an area I'm feeling my way through. I like subdued palettes but I shoot flatter because livening color is dangerous for me. So much can go wrong. As I gain confidence I hope this will improve. Thanks, again, man! Much appreciated!

If you are going to be a director, it's very important to understand all aspects, from lighting/cinematography to editing....

I would say, shoot as much as you can, use whatever equipment you have, and most important, tell us a story....one thing that I learned is to shoot as much as possible, and learn from your mistakes....from composition, color to sequences (wide, medium to close ups)....watch tons of movies, examine how the director & director of photography shoot their films.....

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

Some nice shots in there John, I think the reel perhaps starts out a bit too slow and static for a montage, I'd suggest putting some of your shots with a bit more movement in after that opening shot of the snowy hills (which is a lovely shot btw!).

• Upvote 1

Thanks, Mark! I've got some shots with more movement and a couple of wide angle shots I can drop in. After rewatching the reel and listening to the pacing of the music, I've shuffled some things around. I'll repost a bit later. Thanks for your input!

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking the same as Mark, besides this I enjoyed it, beautiful shots interesting compositions, gorgeous clean color. My instant thought while watching was the Jack Daniels scene and gun scene feel a tad setup for the camera and caught some annoying motion wobble when camera waving back and forth. These couple things do kinda take me out of it and feel ameture. This is much better than most reels, and I would want to see more however.

• Upvote 1

Thanks, Jay! I think "set up" is the most acurate (though painful) description of the whiskey and hand-washing scenes. They feel a bit like a commercial as I watch them again. That's the graphic artist in me. I am working on the reel taking everyone's input into consideration. This kind of dialog is what I like most about these communities. I'll let you know once I post the new reel in a new thread. Thanks, again, man!

John