Oscar Nominations

• Premium Member

Saw American Hustle last night and I don't understand why it garnered so many Golden Globe Awards & Oscar Nominations. Interesting cinematography but nothing truly memorable. Acting was by no means Oscar-worthy and the story structure was all over the place. I'm all for non-traditional structure, but sometimes you have to stick with what works - a three act narrative. The best part of the film was, naturally, the scene with De Niro. Otherwise, a mediocre film at best.

Interesting cinematography but nothing truly memorable.

What struck me about American Hustle's cinematography was that it seemed almost the whole movie was operated on a Steadicam. There were very few static or dolly shots.

• Premium Member

That's been something of a trend for a while, now and I'm still waiting for filmmakers to remember that there are these things called tripods. This constant "floating-camera" feeling just isn't appropriate for every single shot in a film.

But that's something of a reflection of today's society - everyone & everything has to be in constant motion.

• Premium Member

Possibly, but that's similar to what Michael Douglas said on Inside the Actor's Studio regarding Steven Soderbergh's directorial approach: that he uses a long lens to allow the actors more freedom to perform. That's fine if that's what you want to do, but I don't believe the director should sacrifice the visual image in favor of the performance. Part of being an actor is being able to perform under all sorts of conditions. Film is not a pseudo-stage play.

The performance vs. camera thinking also really doesn't fly when you have a director like Scorsese, who has arguably moved the camera more dynamically than any other director working today, and still managed to pull some of the best performances out of his actors.

My point is that you can use all the on-set techniques you want. At the end of the day, you either have a talented cast & crew or you don't.

• 2 weeks later...

What struck me about American Hustle's cinematography was that it seemed almost the whole movie was operated on a Steadicam. There were very few static or dolly shots.

He did that on his last two films The Fighter and Silver Linings Playbook. Not a fan of it. Or the rapid fire editing. It feels like you're watching the movie at 2x the normal speed. As though we'd all be bored if he slowed it down to a normal pace. It's good for a director to show some restraint when it comes to moving the camera and spinning around actors who are doing nothing more than having casual dialogue with one another. His first film Spanking the Monkey was a really great little indie that showed the performances off really well through simple modest means.

• Premium Member

It was ALL steadicam. There was only one or two shots that the camera sat on a sand bag inside the front and back seat of a car. That was it!

G