8mm

Louis

I'm just starting out on 8mm, and I just had some basic questions about the differences between super 8 and other formats. Does super 8 stock come in tungsten/daylight balanced, or is that done automatically? How is the loading process done generally? What is the latitude like (closer to 16/35mm, or closer to video)? Any other general information like this would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Louis

Ok, in order:

1) Does super 8 stock come in tungsten/daylight balanced, or is that done automatically?

There are T and D stocks available, but the vast majority is T. Most Super8 cameras do include a built-in 85a filter to allow you to shoot T film in daylight.

2) How is the loading process done generally?

Generally you grab the magazine, pop it in, close the door, and begin shooting. Super8 comes in pre-loaded magazines.

3) What is the latitude like (closer to 16/35mm, or closer to video)?

Closer to 16mm/35mm than to Video.

4) I'd also like to find out how 24fps in 35mm translates to 24fps in super 8. Does it look about the same? How about 18fps, 36fps, etc?

Exactly the same. The only difference between Super8, 8mm, 3.5mm, 9.5mm, 16mm, 24mm, 35mm and 70mm is in the physical size of the image. The characteristics of the filmstock remain constant between all of them, including how each reacts to being sped up or slowed down.

• Premium Member

I'd say the contrast of reversal film is closer to video than 35mm, and the negative stocks probably won't have as much contrast as is found on 35mm but more than most video. But contrast values of digital video have been corrupted by a new generation of contrasty low end digital cameras mistakenly designed to look like film contrast rather than simply allow to one get the most information on tape and then let it be adjusted in post.

Instead of the word magazine, I think the world "cartridge" is more apropo.