Differences between Arri SR3 & SR3 Advanced

David Fitch

I've been trying to find information regarding differences between the SR3 and the SR3 Advanced models. From what I've found so far, it looks like the two main differences are that the Advanced model has a redisigned film gate with sapphire rollers (to improve registration stability) and a brighter viewfinder on account of removing the light meter and its beam splitter.

In theory these sound like good improvements, but for those who have worked with both an SR3 and an SR3 Advanced, in practice is there really that much of a difference and improvement in the SR3 Advanced over the SR3, or are the differences negligible? I'd be particularly interested in knowing if the viewfinder is, in fact, considerably brighter in the SR3 Advanced. And, if one were looking to purchase an SR3, are there any other factors or differences to take into consideration that I haven't mentioned, or any major reasons why an SR3 Advanced would be much preferred over an SR3?

Thanks!

• Premium Member

If you're shooting a feature, the loss of the meter is no big deal but I've found that internal SR meter to be extremely useful in run-n-gun situations.

Another small difference is that I believe the 800ft. mag can only be used with the Advanced model (although I'm not 100% sure.)