3 lenses which matte box?

Sam C Roberts

Hi everyone,

I am shooting some scenes in a movie where I will use a .5 Tiffen Promist and a #1 Coral filter at the same time. I am using three different lenses (due to budget restrictions) for these scenes

-a 14mm Zeiss prime

-a RED 18-50 Zoom

-and a Canon 400mm telephoto.

In order to keep the look- ie: the 2 filters when using all these lenses, will most matte boxes

be able to fit all three?

Last time I rented the Zeiss it came with a lens shade

which also held glass ND filters and I'm wondering if that was because it is so wide that it can't be used with any matte box.

And what about the 400? When I rented it last time I used up the whole length of my RED 19mm rails just to support it (much less add a matte box---which I didn't use that time)

Any suggestions?

• 2 months later...

Since know one aswered this one and I found out on my own, here is the answer.

For most primes a single medium size or clip on matte box will do as they come with various sized inserts to fit most primes.

For the big zooms and bigger primes such as the Canon 400 telephoto you need a larger matte box with larger

lens inserts. There isn't (to my knowledge) a one size fits all matte box

correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by Sam C Roberts

• Premium Member

There isn't a one size fits all really but there is a one size fits most. Something like a 6x6 mattebox, wile very large, will cover most of your lenses-- something to throw on the rails not a clip on obviously. But it's pretty massive.

For the 400mm and the like, you'd probably want to track down one of those elastic based doughnuts, but with most MBs the have a variety of doughnut sizes/inserts.

a 5x5 MB may also have worked, but I have little experience with 5x5s having only seen one IRL once, which I didn't like.

Just out of curiosity re the physical size of the Red 18-50 zoom I googled and found some info archived from Reduser forum...

http://www.reduser.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-2787.html

"....The filter thread size is less than 130mm if memory serves me correctly. The lens fitted onto an ARRI MB-18 at NAB which is a 4 x 5.65" matte box.
Hopefully this is all correct, I'm working from memory!!!.......Paul"

Not really an answer, but it's a start. If you are renting the Zeiss 14mm can you ask them what they have that will work for all.