How are SD D-SLR's defined versus HDD-SLR's?

Alessandro Machi

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member

It isn't a very useful discussion, to be honest.

Some DSLRs shoot video, some don't. Some things that aren't even DSLRs, such as the Sony Alpha 7s and GH4, shoot video. The phrase "HDSLR" has indeed been used as a shorthand for devices that are principally stills cameras but have some ability to shoot video, but it encompasses such a huge range of price, quality and capability than it's almost meaningless on its own.

P

It isn't a very useful discussion, to be honest.

Well, it is a bit of a late reply I made but I think it was helpful. As it would seem the person is very very very confused if they're asking "SD D-SLR's versus HDD-SLR's"?? Do they think there are DSLRs which just do standard definition?? And how on earth do they think for a moment that a D60 is a HDSLR?? :-/

So hopefully my reply helped clear it up a bit? As "HDSLR" is kinda a play on words of the combination "HD" (High Definition video) + "DSLR" (digital single-lens reflex camera) = "HDSLR" (no, not "HDDSLR". The overlapping "D" gets dropped. Thus in a way it is a play on words).

As for your other paragraphy, while DSLR does get used in a much broader term that incompasses MILC (mirrorless interchangeable-lens camera) as well, I reckon to most people it is clear enough that when discussing in filmmaking groups that "DSLR" (or HDSLR) is just shorthand or lazy form of writing "DSLR/MILC".

And that fact it can cover such a broad range of price and quality from a Canon T2i all the way up to a Panasonic GH4 and every where in between, doesn't mean it is meaningless. As it is still useful to distinguish between those DSLR/MILCs which can do video and those which can *not*!! Though this is becoming less useful with time, as almost all new DSLRs/MILCs which hit the market today do video (aside from a few very rare exceptions, such as the retro Df).