X-Men: DOFP, Digital video look...

So, I saw the new X-Men film this weekend, non 3D showing, and throughout the entire film I was noticing a strange "digital smear" of the frames that really stood out and telegraphed the movie as being shot on digital. It was especially apparent when there were fast moving characters on the screen. Did anyone else notice this? Did Newton Thomas Sigel shoot with a different shutter angle, or something that made this happen on the Alexa? I've seen movies shot on the Alexa that didn't have this same overtly digital look, like Skyfall and Thor: The Dark World, so what happened with this one?

Any input?

Could they have been using a slower shutter angle than 180 degrees? It's odd that a big production would do that on an entire film.

I think 48fps was an early rumor that turned out not to be true.

Edited by Ravi Kiran

The shutter question is interesting. If there's a ton of camera movement, maybe they didn't want stuff to strobe like on fast pans, since strobing is supposed to be godawful in 3D (haven't seen a movie in 3D in more than 30 years, so I'm just taking folks word on that.)

Haven't seen DAYS yet, but this 'digital smear' thread has kinda scared me off a little. I remember seeing X2 in a really bad digital theater and thinking it looked like it was shot on homevid and projected at a drive-in, so I'm extremely allergic to poor theatrical presentations.

I noticed the digital look though it didn't seem to be any type of mistake. It only really happened in the '70's section of the film. It looked like it was an attempt to emulate the look of the video of that time. I thought it was a great way to make the footage feel like it was shot in the 1970's and also blend in the TV news footage sections.

In the same way people emulate technicolor processes to invoke older periods i thought the video look did a great job making the film feel like it was 40 years ago.

By 70s looking video, do you mean it looks like BARNEY MILLER or ALL IN THE FAMILY? Cuz that ain't what I go to see movies for.

There is probably an artistic way to do that kind of look ... I mean, TOOTSIE has the scenes on the soap opera set lit in such a fashion that it 'registers' on some level as video even though it is all very nice and on film. Then again, that was Roizman, and Roizman from the 70s up through the mid-80s was pretty close to perfection for me (in the span of about one year, we got TAPS and TRUE CONFESSIONS -- which for me is THE GODFATHER minus the golden hues -- and ABSENCE OF MALICE.)

• Upvote 1

I mean, I thought the cinematography was the art of telling the story visually. I didn't know that everything had to be only one way.

I thought that selling the story with both a 70's news feel was clever and worked to root the story in the time. Not only the slightly video-y aesthetic, which I didn't find it to distract in the same way the the hobbit HFR did.

I just saw it in 2D as well and often noted several scenes with high motion blur that could have been a 270deg or 360deg shutter angle. It was a little jarring to me, but I didn't quite seem like the whole movie was shot that way, maybe certain scenes were? I also noticed a bit more digital colored noise in the shadows in some scenes which surprised me, but overall I definitely enjoyed the movie anyway.