Foreign films with an anti-hero and great cinematography

Alex Ekl

Hello!

I'm currently doing a film course, and a part of the syllabus is to write an analytical essay-like text on film history/theory. It's required that I discuss at least 4 different movies from a minimum of 2 different cultures and I can freely chose aspect to discuss as long it's related to, as stated above, film theory or history. This freedom of choice certainly is intriguing but the requirements are hindering for my ambitions.

The aspect I want to discuss is Anti-heroes in film and how these characters are conveyed through cinematography. The problem is I can only find American/anglo-culture movies with equally interesting anti-heroes and cinematography, these include Drive (2011) and Breaking Bad (series are ok). My hope was that you could help me in my efforts to find suitable foreign candidates for my essay. I'm not asking you to do my homework, I'm merely asking for some inspiration and something to look into for myself.

So to sum it up, I looking movies that are from non-English cultures, has an anti-hero protagonist and great cinematography for narrative/'literary' analysis.

Oh and I was unsure if this belonged in the Student subforum or here, but if I misplaced it feel free to move it.

Thanks in advance!

/Alex Eklöw (the registration process did not approve the barbaric nature of my last name)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I would suggest to take a look at a Spanish movie called Canibal.

It won several awards around the world and it is one of the most interesting movies coming from Spain, at least during last year.

Kindest regards.