What do you have to take into account when it comes to aspect ratio?

scott karos

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I tend to go with feel; but in truth this comes down a lot to the directors wishes.

For myself, I make my own recommendation based upon how I feel about the main characters in the script. For example, you have a film where a man is very isolated.. well you could do that in 2.35:1 and make him really stand out in in a big empty frame, or you could go 1.85:1 ad have him encompass the whole frame (in a close up). Or even 1.37:1, if you wanted something different. What I would recommend, though, would come really based upon the script as a whole which'll give me some clues as to which way to go on it.

Locations play a part-- small rooms in 2.35 is a major hassle, which may not work, but normally isn't a deal breaker.

This isn't yet talking about doing actual anamorphic-- which often becomes a budgetary issue (lens and body rentals to deal with that as well as top notch ACs and gaffers to get the stops you need).

Though I am in no way a good representation of "normalcy" in film since I can only approach a project from my own humble perspective.

At the end of the day, however, the choice will come down to the director, and how they feel about it-- what has shaped their opinions on this or that aspect ratio, and agree or disagree, I'll shoot it that way for them.