The Price of Filmmaking

Guest FilmmakerJack

• Premium Member

Hi,

I'd rather live in Canada because you do at least make films in Canada, even if they're just American imports (I note with interest that the ever-inflatable La Lohan's latest flick was shot mainly in Canada, despite the storyline being largely concerned with New Jersey...)

To be fair, there's probably more film production in Lesotho than there is here, but that's not the point...

Phil

You're welcome to come over any time Phil, I think you might find Vancouver to your liking weather wise. Lots of English folk in BC as I'm sure you're aware. And just as many Hollywood movies are shot there as in Toronto.

Just don't tell people in LA that, they are having a freak out over "run away" productions.

The Canadian "boogey man" is forcing Americans to shoot in Canada against their will :D

Although since the collapsing US dollar drove up the Canadian dollar, the exchange rate has gone from $1.50 down to $1.25, and that is keeping many Hollywood productions away for now.

Richard

I think it's in some ways easier to have smaller ratios on a short than on a larger piece but obviously the smaller the ratio, the more you may have to comprmise.

Also you need higher ratios when shooting on 100ft spools.

I think the dv camera is a good idea, that way you can practice and be sure that everything looks right and is working before you shoot the actual film. It also might be handy for continuity.

If you are prepared to compromise on the transfer there is:

http://www.tfgtransfer.com/

which would reduce costs perhaps?

love

Freya

Hi,

Anyone unfortunate enough to be stuck in the UK, that's who.

Phil

Stuck? I keep hearing how the UK is a utopian dreamland where everything is free, courtesy of the government!

Anyway, the selling your blood thing sounds silly. What do you get, what, $10 per donation?

And I wouldn't suggest marrying foreigners in a scam either, unless you enjoy sharing a cell with a guy who trades you for cigarettes.

HINTS:

1. Look into all the student discounts.

2. Buy short ends &/or recans if you can't get the stock cheaper with student discounts direct.

3. Buy 400 foot lengths of film & spool them down to 100's (find someone with rewinds & ask the labs for empty 100 ft daylight spools. They should have tons of them).

4. Rehearse, rehearse, rehearse.

This will cut down on retakes, and another trick I learned, is that from rehearsals, you will get a good idea of which actors nail their stuff in first takes, and a feel for which actors need a few takes to get up to speed.

Shoot the "one-takers" first, so the ones who need a bit of warm up can do it off camera, not while you're burning precious film!

Matt Pacini

• Premium Member

Amen to the rehearsals, Matt.

I think people can cut down on their shooting ratio dramatically if they would just embrace the rehearsals. I'm a theatre person, and so I have a definite appreciation of what rehearsals can do.

Rehearsals, yes. And casting! Don't put your girlfriend in the lead role unless she's got real acting chops. Watch out for the penny wise / pound foolish casting trap.

I also don't recommend plasma donations. Last time I tried to donate blood I went into shock. Suprise! That certainly caught the lab workers' attention.