16mm gang synchronizer

Bill DiPietra

• Premium Member

I used one of these for my last short and there is one thing I could never understand: why are the sprockets located on the top wheel of each section, rather than the bottom, since when using single-perf film, the film moves from left to right with the perforations on the bottom edge of the film (as when using a flatbed editor like a Steenbeck)?

Last time, I just turned the thing around, but the wheel with the frame numbers was not visible, so I had to keep turning it back around in order to see what frame I was at. I'm guessing I was just doing something wrong.

I plan on buying another soon, hence the timing for the question. Here's a picture. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Edited by Bill DiPietra

You could 'special order' a synchronizer with the teeth nearest the operator (Moviola as you've pictured). You could also have the counter set to 'add' for right to left operation.

You don't see many conformed that way. I think the only time I saw a synchronizer with teeth nearest the operator was in a lab.

Also, you could order with the sound head above or below. Ask Moviola. ^_^

IMG_20140621_0002_zps9dedcaf0.jpg

IMG_20140621_0003_zps414fb802.jpg

I found this picture of a Ediquip synchro (almost an exact copy of the Moviola equipment) with the teeth conformed towards the operator.

This is a rear shot of the synchronizer, the arm latches are on the left in the pic, normally on the right side in the operating position.

The sprocket with the mag pick-up is in the 'teeth away' from operator position. The next 2 sprockets have the 'teeth towards' operator.

IMG_20140621_0001_zpsc5cbf990.jpg

If you are mechanically inclined, you could take the synchronizer you have apart and turn the sprockets around to the way you want them. Moviola's 16mm sprockets are held in place with a hex set screw.

The mag pick-up could be adjusted easily if you have the support assembly that looks like the one above.

Charlie