Eternal Sunshine

Looks like this is gonna be another Jim Carrey bomb. This one will join "The Cable Guy" and "The Majestic". How did they get that "faded look" for this movie though. I think it looks beautiful. You may disagree.

• Premium Member

I haven't seen it but I heard that it was entirely shot on Fuji 500D stock (500 ASA daylight balanced.) It's also a slightly low-contrast stock. Somewhat grainy though.

It was also used for the day exterior scenes in "Girl with a Pearl Earring."

• Premium Member
Looks like this is gonna be another Jim Carrey bomb. This one will join "The Cable Guy" and "The Majestic".

I'm really looking forward to seeing E.S.O.T.S.M. because the incredible Michel Gondry is the director; Charles Kaufman ("Adaptation") wrote the screenplay, and Ellen Kuras, A.S.C is the cinematographer.

All of the reviews I've either read or seen (Siskel and Roeper) have been very positive.

Oh, I never said I didnt like it. Im looking forward to seeing it myself.

I just think it may go over some peoples heads. I mean, "Adaptation"

was a great movie but did many people go see it?

you are right. it will probably end up with the same audience that adaptation got or being john malkovich. both really great films.

i could care less who goes to see it as long as me and my friends get the chance but i guess the people who made the movie would care a little bit more. but so far everyone of charlies movies hasnt been a big blockbuster and i figure he knows that ahead of time.

hopefully i can go see this tomorrow or saturday. by the way, i know all about spike jonze director of adaptation but what films has michael gondry done?

• Premium Member
Oh, I never said I didn't like it. I'm looking forward to seeing it myself. I just think it may go over some people's heads.

Thanks for clearing that up, because your use of the word "bomb" sounded more perjorative than praiseworthy. :)

• 2 months later...

I saw it a few weeks ago and loved it. There's an online article at theasc.com in April talking about the interesting setups they used to make some of the really sweet transitions. I really liked the ones where the backgrounds go all fuzzy/hazy and Carrey is clean in the foreground. Great example of technique to tell the story.

I think there's something really sublime about this story. Destined love, power of human nature over technology? Maybe I'm just a romantic.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest phlegmatic
i know all about spike jonze director of adaptation but what films has michael gondry done?

Spike Jonze, Charlie Caughman, and Michel Gondry are all good friends and bjork introduced Jonze and Gondry as they had both done her videos and she thoughjt they were vary similar in character. Spike actualy vowed when they met to produce something for MIchel and the oppertunity came up when Charlie presented spiek with the script for human nature. since then they have sort of takin turns at directig Caughmans work.

http://www.frenchculture.org/cinema/festiv...is/jetaime.html

http://www.filmref.com/directors/dirpages/...s.html#je_taime

i love gondry's video work... but kaufman isn't my favorite. especially when compared to the true masters he comes up pretty dry. check out "je t'aime, je t'aime" by resnais. "eternal..." pales in comparison.

jk :ph34r:

• Premium Member

I saw this on a plane which I dislike doing almost as much as I dislike Jim Carrey. However I really enjoyed it. Wild horses wouldn't have dragged me to a theatre to see it so I'm glad I was that bored I selected it.....

I can't really comment on the visuals, but it looked interesting from what I could tell.

One of the better films I've seen this year.