Surviellance super 8 color neg

Marty Hamrick

Thanks John,

I posted this also on 8mm filmshooting and I was told it was 200T EXR 7293,which was later replaced with Vision 200T.I'm told the Widescreen Centre sold it to banks in Japan,hence the name "surviellance film".

• Premium Member
Thanks John,

I posted this also on 8mm filmshooting and I was told it was 200T EXR 7293,which was later replaced with Vision 200T.I'm told the Widescreen Centre sold it to banks in Japan,hence the name "surviellance film".

If a company is repackaging Kodak film, I really would not know the details of what film they are using, its age, its condition, or how it should be processed. Unless you buy Kodak film in the original unopened Kodak packaging, you really need to ask/deal with the reseller.

• Premium Member
If a company is repackaging Kodak film, I really would not know the details of what film they are using, its age, its condition, or how it should be processed.  Unless you buy Kodak film in the original unopened Kodak packaging, you really need to ask/deal with the reseller.

So, how much film would one have to order from Kodak to get 50 ASA negative or 100 ASA negative in Super-8 cartridge form?

• Premium Member
So, how much film would one have to order from Kodak to get 50 ASA negative or 100 ASA negative in Super-8 cartridge form?

Right now, those are not in the Kodak catalog. A single "wide" roll of film could yield over 35,000 Super-8 cartridges -- alot of inventory that would need to be guaranteed sale. Each film type would need to be fully tested and certified for use in Super-8, and that takes money and time.

Offering too many different film types for a small volume product like Super-8 risks building too much inventory of a persishable item that does have a shelf life.

• Premium Member
Right now, those are not in the Kodak catalog.  A single "wide" roll of film could yield over 35,000 Super-8 cartridges -- alot of inventory that would need to be guaranteed sale.  Each film type would need to be fully tested and certified for use in Super-8, and that takes money and time.

Offering too many different film types for a small volume product like Super-8 risks building too much inventory of a persishable item that does have a shelf life.

When you say guaranteed sale, do you mean that someone would have to purchase 35,000 cartridges at the time of order? Does Kodak care how many of those cartridges are finally sold, or just that a purchaser can make the purchase?

I bet 35 companies could come forward, each buying 1,000 carts each. What I wonder is which stock makes more sense, the 50 ASA, or the 100 ASA? Does the 50 ASA or 100 ASA rival Kodachrome 40 in terms of tight grain?

• Premium Member

The bottom line is that any decision needs to make business sense. Much as YOU would use a few cartridges of additional film types, will TENS of THOUSANDS of other filmmakers use them too, such that the film doesn't sit in inventory and eventually need to be discarded?

One of the reps I spoke with a while ago told me that an order of 5000 carts would be adequate to produce a new Kodak film for super 8. But, even this would exceed $60,000.00 for a single order. Not economical for any single dealer to dive into. Especially, when anybody can go directly to Kodak to buy the manufacture overflow cheaper (since Kodak provides no dealer discount). So, it is up to Kodak to take the risks. And, in my opinion it is a risk well worth taking with so many newbies going with digital instead. They need to put out some crumbs (in the form of a good variety of cheap, professional super 8) to draw them into film - even if it costs them in the short run. They need to stop looking at possible profit losses and consider it an investment in the future of film. These measures will help stabilize and grow their 16 and 35mm sales and keep new customers coming to them.

Dealer discounts wouldn?t hurt either. They need dealers to help promote film as a viable medium (just as they did in the 60's, 70's and 80's). They also need to develop a better rapport with dealers that can provide valuable services to super 8 filmmakers (such as quality processing and telecine). In short, they need all the allies they can get with such a tough battle ahead. I just hope they do it now before they lose too much ground to digital. For them time truly is ?of the essence?.

Another problem they have is Pro8mm. In my opinion they are just a shoddy stand in for Kodak. With the lack of quality control, high prices and poor customer service they will do more harm than good for Kodak?s battle with digital. But, at least they have shown Kodak that there is a significant need for shooters that want to use their film as an alternative to digital. Just imagine what would happen if Kodak filled this niche with quality product, good variety, and low price. Think of how much ground they would gain (or maintain) in 16 and 35mm sales while preserving their company as a whole.

I must say, however, that Kodak seems to be listening more than they have in the past with the release of some Vision 2 films. But, they still have much more they need to do at a faster pace if they are going to grow (or maintain) their status.

I have also heard unconfirmed rumors that Supermag400 at Filmshooting.com has spoken directly to the France manufacturing plant. Apparently, they have agreed to make 400' rolls of film of any Kodak film he wishes. This may also open the door to 50? carts as well. However, there were no specific details.

I'd like to see the 7212 or 7222 in Super 8. I know there is Black and white reversal, but if there were a bw negative with the latitude of 22, then I think you may hook a lot more people who are shooting digital and CC to Black and white.

• Premium Member

5,000 Carts is not that many.

We now have three labs in the San Fernando Valley that can process negative. The question becomes does one make the investment in 100 ASA or or the 50 ASA, and how noticeable a difference from the 200 ASA would that be?

So, if I shot 200 ASA negative and overexposed one stop, versus 100 ASA negative at proper exposure, would I notice a difference?

If I shot 100 ASA overexposed one stop, vesus ASA 50 negative at proper exposure, would I notice a difference?