Russian Jupiter-9 lens with weird mount

• Premium Member

I picked a Jupiter-9 , 85mm F2 lens off of eBay…

it has a mount which is definitely not oct-18 but not Arri standard either (mount diameter 46mm, full length of the mount 17.40mm, distance from the base to the front end of the locking ring about 11.65mm)

What it could be, is it some kind of older mount which was developed before oct-18 or just a experimental sample of some kind? It is definitely not a wrongly made oct-18 because the mount is much shorter and the locking ring is at different place, although the mount works mechanically the same way than oct-18

images: the lower lens is real oct-18 lens and the upper is the lens with the weird mount

post-28473-0-60339500-1414169206_thumb.jpg

post-28473-0-61583000-1414169216_thumb.jpg

post-28473-0-79394100-1414169223_thumb.jpg

I recently received a 50mm lens with the same mount thinking I was getting an OCT-18. The seller allowed me to return the lens. It was odd because it was so close that I was fooled by the pics. I never found out what the odd mount and luckily it didn't cost me anything, but now I'm a little more careful.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

OK, I accidentally found out what this mount is and which camera it is used in.

It seems to be the mount of the Russian AKS-4M camera which is somewhat direct copy from Arri 2 camera with minor changes (copied from A or B model Arri?? )

If you look closely this shot of a Soviet propaganda film you can see those cameras on the upper shelf filming a nuclear test:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=INSTW8xfKU0#t=47

• 3 years later...
  • Premium Member

Do you still have the lens and want to sell it?

I still have the AKS lens. using it for some macro tests, maybe modifying the mount later at some point.

do you have one of those rare AKS4 cameras you would use it with? :)

there seems to be at least one on eBay which is similar to my lens though with black housing