lens fogging up!

im shoot alot of concerts and shows and what not, and sometimes the clubs are rather small , and everyone is moving around and it gets really steamy in the space, so my lens fogs up a fair bit...i would really not like to have to wipe it off every min. or so....is there something i can do for this? something i can buy? thanks.

• Premium Member
im shoot alot of concerts and shows and what not, and sometimes the clubs are rather small , and everyone is moving around and it gets really steamy in the space, so my lens fogs up a fair bit...i would really not like to have to wipe it off every min. or so....is there something i can do for this? something i can buy? thanks.

Is your lens colder than the rooms you are shooting in? If the temperature of the lens is below the dew point of the air in the room, you will have condensation. You could try keeping the lens in a warmer location until you shoot.

I'd avoid putting any treatment on the lens, although there are treatments sold for use on bathroom mirrors and automobile windshields (e.g., Rain-X Anti-Fog), as they may streak or smear. You might try using an anti-fog treatment on a clear glass filter or skylight filter to protect the lens.

• Premium Member

As John says, the major point is the temperature. If you have your lens at the same temperature as the room there shouldnt be much condensation. You can use - very carefuly - a hair dryer to have your lens warm up. But the basic thing is to have your box lenses open and caps as well and let them rewarm in the room for a couple of hours before you shoot.

In France, ACs make their own viewfinder heater with an electrical wire that is especially designed for that they sew in a fabric piece, never tried it on a lens, but it should work - the only point being that the ac needs the focus ring to be reachable-...

• Premium Member

Last fall in Oregon, I arrived to do a shoot in a small cheese factory. It was 45-50 degrees outside and we'd been shooting outdoors all morning. When we walked into the cheese-making room which was about 95 degrees and 95% humidity, problem. It's not just the lens that gets condensation, it's the whole camera inside and out.

Carry a hair dryer in your gear. You have to warm the whole camera up to room temp and it takes a while.

Tim