Bedroom Night Scene from Hugo

Steven Kan

Hello everyone,

My name is Steven and i'm new to forums. I appreciate everyone that takes the time out of their busy schedule to help each other. I wanted to see if anyone can give me tips on how to achieve this look in the movie Hugo. The scene is of Hugo while he's lying in bed, I love how the light wraps around Hugo's face, but can't figure out which modifiers or lights they used. I tried doing a few test and am struggling to create the mood of night time. I'm currently using 1x1 leds for testing and have access to a 24" lantern and a Kino Flo Diva-Lite. Any recommendations are welcome. Thank you

post-61084-0-66774600-1414516216_thumb.jpg

Edited by Steven Kan

Steven,

From what I've read Bob likes to use a bounce off of Muslin into a diffusion material (dunno what). Considering your fixture size, you may want to try a book light configuration with various diffusion types and distances from your actor. With the lights you have, you'll probably need a more efficient bounce material than Muslin. You can see the general light direction Bob used from the shadows on the child's face. Hope this helps.

Stuart

-------------------------

illuma.blogspot.com

• Premium Member

The light is soft but not super soft, and it's being cut by some flags on the sides, particularly at the top of frame. If I had the space, I'd probably shine something through a 6'x6' diffusion frame highish but to the frame left of the bed, maybe with a Light Tools egg crate on the 6x6 frame, but definitely some large floppies cutting the light, boxing it in.

On a smaller scale, I'd work closer with a 4'x4' diffusion frame or a very large Chimera bag with an egg crate, and then flags again to box in and cut the light.