petition for k40

joshwatson

Listen carefully: If you want your voices to be heard do NOT waste time with an internet petition. Take $0.37 out of your pocket and send a letter (more if you're out of the US; sorry) and write a REAL LETTER to KODAK. I am going to find an address and put out a form letter so that everyone knows who to contact. You can personalize such a letter by telling them how K40A is your favorite S8 stock and without it you'd switch to DV blah blah blah. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME WITH INTERNET PETITIONS. THEY DON'T WORK BECAUSE ABSOLUTELY ANYONE CAN HIT A SUBMIT BUTTON ON ONE OF THEM PERIOD. SEND REAL SNAIL MAIL AND YOUR VOICE WILL BE HEARD.

Regards.

~Karl Borowski

Aren't you that guy that thinks that video is better than film because its cheaper and instantaneous? I don't know why you'd be posting here if that is your attitude towards film in general. If you don't have the patience for the more standard film processes. There's no way in HELL you'll understand the reason people love Kodachrome so much.

Regards.

~Karl Borowski

• Premium Member
Hi,

Well, it's reversal, it's grainier than neg of equivalent speed. It's also a positively ancient formulation...

Phil

I would respectfully disagree. I'd bet that Kodachrome 40 if shot in 35mm would be equal to or have less visible grain than the 50 ASA stock. Don't you find it probably that a reversal film that requires more light and less contrast than it's negative counterpart probably would at the very least put out a pretty picture when properly lit?

Would Kodak really market a reversal film IF it was both more contrasty and more grainy as having vivid colors and superb clarity/sharpness?

• Premium Member

You can't make generalized statements of sharpness, graininess, color, tone scale, etc. between color negative and color reversal films. Look at Kodak's published technical data for each film to make comparisons, or test them yourself.

But in general, a motion picture negative film is more suited to duplication, either by printing or scanning.

• Premium Member
You can't make generalized statements of sharpness, graininess, color, tone scale, etc. between color negative and color reversal films.  Look at Kodak's published technical data for each film to make comparisons, or test them yourself.

But in general, a motion picture negative film is more suited to duplication, either by printing or scanning.

Too be more specific, film to film replication is not kodachrome 40's strength.

However, with the advance in contrast dynamic range when transfering to video, Kodachrome was actually becoming a more viable stock.

And digital intermediates can also prevent contrast build up issues.

My two cents worth:

1. I'm going to assume this is just the 48,000 internet rumor about Kodak killing Kodachrome 40 for Super 8, unless you offer concrete evidence to the contrary.

2. Phil, I've shot about 400 rolls of Kodacrhome 40 on Super 8, and a bit of the neg stock, and I can tell you that K40 is the best looking stock on S8. It's sharp, it's got little, itty bitty grains, and frankly I won't shoot anything else in S8 because the neg stock (for all it's obvious benefits) is just too grainy for this tiny format.

I'm guessing you either had a bad camera, old film stock, or perhaps you were actually shooting Ektachrome and thought it was Kodachrome? (Ektachrome looks like excrement in S8).

Either way, I don't agree that anything else looks like Kodachrome.

Matt Pacini