The big question about the new S8 stock

Freya Black

• Premium Member
Is this new ektachrome film going to be process paid like kodachrome 40?

Does anyone have any information on retail price?

love

Freya

Since the E-6 process is run by mostly independent labs, you are free to choose where to process the film. The Kodak website has a list of labs that currently offer cine (long length) processing of E-6 films (a few are already installing capability for handling Super-8):

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/products...4.6.4.6.4&lc=en

Since the E-6 process is run by mostly independent labs, you are free to choose where to process the film.  The Kodak website has a list of labs that currently offer

Can I infer from that statement that the new stock is NOT process paid? ;)

cine (long length) processing of E-6 films (a few are already installing capability for handling Super-8):

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/products...4.6.4.6.4&lc=en

This link is for E6 processing labs generally. From what I can tell, few of them process S8.

S8 processing is very difficult here in England because we have no S8 labs whatsoever. :( We either have to use a broker to deal with a European lab, or attempt to deal direct, with all the currency and payment issues. It's a shame we aren't in the Euro zone but it's one of those things.

The process paid film was really straightforward and nice.

Will the new filmstock be significantly cheaper than K40, as it doesn't have processing, or are prices not finalised yet?

love

Freya

• Premium Member

As the Super-8 EKTACHROME film becomes available, it is likely that some existing E-6 labs will equip themselves to handle Super-8, or that other labs will see a market they can profitably serve.

Pricing, any pre-paid mailers, etc. will be announced before the film becomes available in August, as a "Kodak News" item, or catalog update:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/newslett...=0.1.4.17&lc=en

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/products...=0.1.4.26&lc=en

For needs that are specific to the UK or other countries, your suggestions and ideas are welcomed by your local Kodak Entertainment Imaging sales office:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/about/ww...d=0.1.4.5&lc=en

UNITED KINGDOM

Entertainment Imaging

Kodak Ltd. Kodak House

P.O. Box 66, Station Road

Hemel Hempstead

Herts HP1 1JU England

Phone: +44 1442 845945

Fax: +44 1442 844458

As the Super-8 EKTACHROME film becomes available, it is likely that some existing E-6 labs will equip themselves to handle Super-8, or that other labs will see a market they can profitably serve.

Pricing, any pre-paid mailers, etc. will be announced before the film becomes available in August, as a "Kodak News" item, or catalog update:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/newslett...=0.1.4.17&lc=en

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/products...=0.1.4.26&lc=en

For needs that are specific to the UK or other countries, your suggestions and ideas are welcomed by your local Kodak Entertainment Imaging sales office:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/about/ww...d=0.1.4.5&lc=en

UNITED KINGDOM

Entertainment Imaging

Kodak Ltd. Kodak House

P.O. Box 66, Station Road

Hemel Hempstead

Herts HP1 1JU England

Phone: +44 1442 845945

Fax: +44 1442 844458

So there might be pre paid mailers?!

I guess we will have to see!

I'd even be very happy with pre-paid TRI-X becoming available or something.

Fingers crossed here! :)

I tend to find it's hard to communicate with Hemel Hempstead, tho they are quite helpful when you finally get through to the right people.

Well it will be interesting to see which way the wind blows, it's all bad timing for me at the moment, everything suddenly seems very up in the air.

I'm a bit loathed to start talking to them about S8 at this moment too, as there is a lot of flack in the air, as you might expect. I don't want to develop a bad reputation with them just because I like S8! :)

love

Freya

• Premium Member
I tend to find it's hard to communicate with Hemel Hempstead, tho they are quite helpful when you finally get through to the right people.

Well it will be interesting to see which way the wind blows, it's all bad timing for me at the moment, everything suddenly seems very up in the air.

I'm a bit loathed to start talking to them about S8 at this moment too, as there is a lot of flack in the air, as you might expect. I don't want to develop a bad reputation with them just because I like S8!

If you call a Kodak sales office that has other divisions (like at Hemel Hempstead in the UK), be sure to ask for "Entertainment Imaging" (Professional Motion Picture and Television).

The contact person for origination films at Hemel is Janet Anderson, and Clive Ogden heads up the technical group.

Don't worry about being a Super-8 filmmaker: David Mullen and Steven Spielberg have good reputations in the industry, and they both started by making Super-8 films. ;) B) I go back further, as I started with Regular-8. :D

Hey John - between you, me and the rest of the universe on the internet - I don't find the end of K40 the end of the world and I am appreciative of the effort you and Kodak are putting into Super 8 - thanks for not getting put off by all the flak - you're doing a great job - and I and many others are appreciative of it :-)

Scot

• Premium Member
Hey John - between you, me and the rest of the universe on the internet - I don't find the end of K40 the end of the world and I am appreciative of the effort you and Kodak are putting into Super 8 - thanks for not getting put off by all the flak - you're doing a great job - and I and many others are appreciative of it :-)

Scot

Thanks. As I said, it was a sad day for many, but it is also a hopeful one for the future of Super-8, as it opens up new possibilities.

OK, I finally read all the topics, and I'm depressed!

I'm not happy about this;

We're going to pay more, and get less.

I'll try to be optimistic about the Ektachrome 64T, but based on my experience with 120T & 160T, I absolutely HATE the look of those two stocks!

It wasn't just the grain either, there was something hideous about the skintones & overall color as well.

I shouldn't whine though, I haven't shot hardly any S8 in the last couple + years, since I've been shooting in 16mm.

MP

S8 processing is very difficult here in England because we have no S8 labs whatsoever. :( We either have to use a broker to deal with a European lab, or attempt to deal direct, with all the currency and payment issues. It's a shame we aren't in the Euro zone but it's one of those things.

Oh no - not a EURO arguement working its way into this aswell <_<

(anyone from the UK will know how controversial this has been in recent years)

Matt

Thanks.  As I said, it was a sad day for many, but it is also a hopeful one for the future of Super-8, as it opens up new possibilities.

I agree with you John. I made the point on another thread that, whilst Kodachrome has lots of good features it also has a lot of bad issues too:

Too slow

Too contrasty

Too difficult to expose for newcomers

Just another thing John: this question might be difficult to answer quickly, but what sort of investment would be required for a lab to start processing super8 film? would it be possible to use one precessing machine for E6 on some days and ECN on other days if it was handling low volume?

If it was a lab already offering E6 and C41 stills processing, presumably this would be a big advantage?

Do you think that Kodak would be interested in any kind of joint venture with a lab to provide this service - I'm thinking of the UK.

Thanks

Matt

Oh no - not a EURO arguement working its way into this aswell <_<

(anyone from the UK will know how controversial this has been in recent years)

Matt

*I'm* in the u.k. and it doesn't seem that controversial at all! The whole issue seemed to have dropped off the map long, long ago.

I'm actually not sure where I would actually stand on this position politically these days for a variety of economic reasons anyway. However, the bottom line is we aren't in the eurozone, and while that may have some advantages, in this paticular instance it causes problems.

It was just a comment on the current situation with processing film, don't read anything more into it, the political stuff is dead in the water for the forseeable future anyway, whatever your position on it.

love

Freya

OK, I finally read all the topics, and I'm depressed!

I'm not happy about this;

We're going to pay more, and get less.

I'll try to be optimistic about the Ektachrome 64T, but based on my experience with 120T & 160T, I absolutely HATE the look of those two stocks!

It wasn't just the grain either, there was something hideous about the skintones & overall color as well.

I shouldn't whine though, I haven't shot hardly any S8 in the last couple + years, since I've been shooting in 16mm.

MP

I should point out that the 2 new ektachrome stocks may look very different to the old VNF.

I have to agree that I've never been very keen on the look of the old VNF (although ironically it looks like I'm about to shoot a ton of it) but these new stocks might look completely different. I've heard people say nice things about the 100d who have shot it and I'm personally keeping an open mind about the new 64T until I've really seen it.

Kodak calls all kinds of things ektachrome for some reason, these films are not only a completely different formulation but a completely different process (E6) too. I suspect the E64T will look closer to the 100d than the VNF.

Theres a lot of F.U.D. doing the rounds at the moment, we actually know very little about what things will be like. We don't know if the new stock will be process paid or not, and we don't have a clear idea of what it will look like. Perhaps we should wait till we have some facts before we make desciisions about things.

love

Freya

• Premium Member

Word is that labs are already gearing up for handling Super-8 EKTACHROME film in the E-6 process. I've heard labs that are either already equipped or interested are:

Bono, Arlington VA

Seattle Film Works, Seattle WA

Yale, Hollywood

Covitec, Montreal

Film and Photo Ltd., London

Kodak, Metz France

Kodak, Caen France

Primary Colour, London

Color Network Lab, Toronto

Northwest Imaging and FX, Burnaby BC

A-1 Reversal, NYC

Dwaynes, Parsons KS

Color City, Champigny sur Marne, France

Super-8 Reversal Lab, Rotterdam

Andec Filmtechnik, Berlin

Not all these labs may convert, but others are likely to be added to the list. As the new E64T 7280 Super-8 film is introduced this summer, Kodak will post a full list of labs with contact information on its Super-8 website.

I just bought a roll of the EPY, so let's see how it looks. I have a mask I built to give me a preview of S8 with different filmstocks and lenses already, shooting a 35mm frame with my SLR and crossing down to show the S8 frame size. It should prove most enlightening.