Traveling with Lighting

Hi guys -

When you fly with lighting equipment, do you usually pull out bulbs/UV filters? I've been flying with a pair of Joker 800s and (knock on wood) have been fine with the bulbs so far, but notice that the UV filter has cracked a bit, even though I'm wrapping the lights in foam in additional to the hard flight cases they come in. Am I tempting fate, or is leaving the lights built when flying standard practice?

The UV filter is probably Thermo shock, although handling can definitely cause that as well. I have usually traveled with them built. I try to inspect before and after asap to file insurance with the carrier. I ve had minor luck in getting things covered. Usually production insurance picks it up. I hate saying it but it can really just be the cost of doing business.

You can go the extra step of pulling the lamp and packaging separate, like 12k/18ks but for the smaller lamp you are putting more stress on it by just removing it and installing it than it would get in travel. Finger prints are bad.

• 6 months later...