Fluoro and Minus Green

Personally, I would never trust a chart or guesswork when attempting to balance flourescent lights. There are too many manufacturers, too many different types of bulbs to rely on a chart. I have seen bulbs out of the same box that have slightly different CC values. Flo's are frustrating.

The link that you posted actually says to use a color meter...that's the only way to be sure. In a pinch I'm sure that you could rattle off a few digital photos with several different degrees of color correction, but even that will be suspect to slight color shifts on the film as opposed to a digital photo.

Video obviously is a whole separate issue...you can look at the monitor until you get the desired balance.

Owning a color meter is a must in my opinion if you shoot film. Unless you can talk your gaffer into buying one instead ;)

Respectfully,

Jeff Tanner

• Premium Member

As others have noted in other threads, you can use a digital still camera capable of being manually set to various light sources (e.g., the Kodak DX-6490 or DX-7590) to subjectively check the match of light sources in the scene:

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jht...pq-locale=en_US

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jht...pq-locale=en_US

White balance: auto, daylight, tungsten, fluorescent, open shade

• Premium Member

Hello,

The CC meter helps with more than Flo's. Voltage variations change the color of tungsten lights. Daylight changes throughout the day as well. I hate laying out that much cheese for a CC, but they really save you money on the color timing end.

As far as Flo's go, in general, some folks love them but the color spikes do weird stuff to little things like make-up colors, wardrobe colors, and just about any other thing colored that matters. If I can wash-out flo's with tungsten or another broad color spectrum light source, then I do.