Standard 16mm Film Telecine Transfer

danny bartle

The results should be fine as there is still plenty of information on the film negative. There may be a small setup fee or simply additional time for the few minutes it will take the colorist to set up the proper framing. What's important is that you shoot a framing reference as a guide for both you and the colorist. Take a large sheet of paper and draw a box 16"x9" and tape it to a wall. Set up the camera 10 feet away and zoom in until the sides match the sides of the frame and the top & bottom are evenly spaced within the film frame. Now shoot a good 10-15 seconds of film so you have this as a recorded reference of your framelines. You should also pay close attention for yourself as to where these framelines land so you know how to frame your shots. If you have a videotap on the camera you should mark your monitor from this same framing mask so that you know where the framelines are.

If by chance you are shooting on an Arri SR of sorts then some rental houses rent out ground glasses with 16:9 markings on them.

Usually costs about $25.00 and your camera's original ground glass is used as the deposit. Adds the simple pleasure to have the etchings there before you while your eye is on the eyepiece operating.

• Premium Member

Matthew,

I have an ARRI SR in standard 16mm, and although I have a telecine house here in Chicago that can give me 16:9 from my standard 16mm negs, it would be great to have a 16:9 ground glass in the camera. After reading your post I have been searching everywhere for one of these and have had no luck finding one or anyone who knows where I can find one. Do you have any more information about which rental houses rent them? I would really appreciate it. I have found the 16:9 ground glass for Super 16 converted SR's, but none for SR's that are still standard 16mm.

Thanks for any and all information.

-Tim

I know that Otto Nementz in LA used to have at least three Arri SR 16mm fiberoptic screens custom marked for 1.85 that were aquired for the documentary "U2: Rattle and Hum." There are numerous places that have custom groundglasses or could apply scotch tape to yours for 1.85 or 16:9 marking.

• Premium Member

Hey Mitch,

I called Otto and he has no recollection of ever seeing a 16:9 or 1.85 ground glass for the ARRI SR1 in Standard 16mm. He says they haven't had an SR1 for many years and he really can't recall ever having seen that type of ground glass. Bummer. Thanks anyway.

-Tim

PS: I would be interested in talking to any places that have custom ground glasses.

Otto's quite a character and tells great stories. The SR 1&2 share the same groundglass mount design but I'm sure he hasn't had anything but SR-3 cameras there for at least a decade.

There are plenty of people who make custom groundglasses. The fellow at Emerson College who does laser brightening of groundglasses probably also custom engraves. And I'm sure that Technological CineVideo Services in NYC would do it or put you in touch with someone who would. You could also try calling Birns & Sawyer in LA and asking them as well. Slow-Motion, Inc. in LA also does lots of custom mods for Arri SR cameras.

• Premium Member

Thanks Mitch, I'll look into them. With the stuff we are doing right now, telecining Standard 16mm to 16:9 is working fine and we are saving money by not converting the camera to Super 16. Having a ground glass with the 16:9 frame would be a great asset.

-Tim

Tim--

In a pinch you can easily have your local camera house apply some Scotch tape to your fiberoptic screen for 1.85 framelines. You'll be able to see through it for the area outside frame and the tape edge makes for a nice sharp frameline. I'm told that it cleans off easily enough and won't permanently harm your screen.