PL lens to Canon EF adaptor?

• Premium Member

the main difference is that the pl to ef adapters don't allow to use lenses which have long mount so you can't use all cine lenses with them. I think about 5/6 of existing PL lenses don't fit.

the problem is mainly the depth of the 54mm cylindrical part of the lens's pl mount.

With PL modified 7D you can use most of the existing PL lenses without problems because the clearance is much better. the mount may also be better quality depending on which conversion you choose

• Premium Member

canon ef ffd is 44.0mm

arri pl ffd is 52mm (-0.01)

52- 44 = 8mm

8mm - 1mm for the adapter = 7mm

sounds about right :(

Canon ef diameter is smaller than 54mm so there's nothing you can do basically other than changing the whole ef mount

Edited by aapo lettinen

• Premium Member

I think nowadays it might be better to choose a M4/3 or E-mount camera with PL adaptor than adapting Canon cameras to PL hard mount.

you can also choose a Blackmagic camera with either PL adaptor or with PL hard mount.

I personally use GH4 when needing adaptable system (I use for example PL, B4, Nikkor, EF, C-mount, Pentacon Six, Pentax 67, oct-18 lenses with it. very versatile but noise/sensitivity is a bit of a problem sometimes)