Precautions to take when shooting in the HEAT!

Guest Abby

Guest Abby

Hi there, guys. I'm a New York based AC, and I just got a gig out in Arizona. We're shooting Fuji 64D in a desert location that has the potential to break 100 degrees. Any tips or quirks that you know of regarding shooting in the heat? Does the stock behave any differently?

Hi Abby, my husband and I shoot in Vegas where it's always unbelievably hot in the summer and the spring and fall. Some of the things we do to help make it more manageable (our expereince is with Kodak, haven't used Fuji yet but maybe this will help you):

Keep the film shaded and out of direct sunlight - one time we left it in our truck and eventhough it was in the shade, it warped slightly. Film is pretty durable but, this desert heat which sounds similar to Arizona, can make it cranky.

Lately, we've been using a fly for overhead protection as it's starting to get hot. Also, if you can afford one of those really cool insulated bags I suggest you get one. If you can't afford one, you can try using a car window sun shade, the kind that look like aluminum foil and keep it over the film stock. Oh, gosh, one time (I think it was on a student project) we were noticing our film taking a beating and we didn't have anything to speak of to protect the film so we used some aluminum foil from someone BBQing nearby.

There should be a temparature recommendation on the back of the film can. Do your best to keep it at that temp. range. We've never really noticed any changes in the film's behavoir except for that time it warped slightly. Just remember to keep it shaded and as cool as possible without making any extreme temp. changes. And make sure you take care of yourself too. I've passed out once on a shoot when I was script supervising. Drink plenty of water.

I hope that helps a bit. Good luck on your shoot and congrats on getting this gig.

Edited by noelle

• Premium Member

Hi,

I have something semi-planned which would require shooting in the desert.

Assuming I was to hop on a plane and end up in somewhere like LA or Vegas, just out of interest, what's the permits situation regarding just driving out of the city and picking a spot?

Phil

• Premium Member

You'd have to find out who owned the property or if it was under the Bureau of Land Management, etc. and then get permission, plus a permit from the appropriate county agency. May be easier to talk to a locations manager or a film commissioner office with these questions.

Unless the shoot is so small and fast you can afford to risk stealing the shot and driving off...

Hi,

Assuming I was to hop on a plane and end up in somewhere like LA or Vegas, just out of interest, what's the permits situation regarding just driving out of the city and picking a spot?

Phil

• Premium Member
Hi,

Phil

Phil,

Last year I shot in the Sierra Neveda, Spain.

No Permissions needed even driving with a Arri 435 strapped to the side of the car!

Stephen Williams DoP

Zurich

www.stephenw.com

Phil

I wonder how far you need to go outside of LA to not run into other crews and fervent permit-checkers...

I shot a friend's short film at vasquez rocks (a county park, i think) about 20 miles east of Santa Clarita, it was comical to stand up on one of the higher rocks and look around, there weren't any "real" people in the park- everyone had a clipboard and/or director's finder, or were shooting something. Off one side there was a fashion stills shoot, look down the little draw and there was a music video, off the other side some bizarre S&M student film, and then the next day "Evolution" rolled in with about a dozen huge trucks to shoot what I understood were a few insert shots.

anyway, the park's main function seems to be as a movie set and you see those distinctive rocks all the time on TV and in films.

• Premium Member

Hi,

Well, if it happened, I'd probably just put something out on craigslist and pay a local for their time setting things up, then jet in like a real director... but sorry, didn't want to hijack the thread.

Pray continue.

Phil