Home-made Processing Old Emulsions

I got all of this film and I wonder how I can process them.

I have a good idea of how to process the Vision stock but I want to experiment with the other stocks. I have access to Lomo and G3 Morse tanks and a wide array of B&W developers and perhaps I can even get my hands on some colour developers.

Any help will be appreciated.

post-15081-0-44772900-1433561511_thumb.jpg

• Premium Member

Well, Antonio, you can do away all Kodachrome. That is no longer processed (to colours). The Ektachrome 160 G the same (http://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/25630/can-i-develop-kodak-ektachrome-160-film-myself-and-if-so-how).

Cinechrome 25 is Kodachrome 25, so neither usable.

The Vision2 200 Tungsten Super-8 negative film will be processed at a professional lab. For home use I recommend black-and-white film, especially for beginners. Very fun and rewarding

The type G can definitely be processed color. Plattsburgh photographic can do it.

If it's the em-26 version you can even process it as E6 with mixed results. (it does have a rennet backing that would need to be removed first. ). EM - 25 can be done color but it's more expensive, harder, less like E6 and older so even less likely to not be junk.

I use Borax to grt rid of the rem-jet. I hate that step but the results look great. Since we don't have many choices on film stock over here (then again who does in this world?), we use whatever we can have handy.

Fools rush in . . .

You’re welcome

Which format are you using most?

I am mainly using Super 8 these days. But then again, it's the stock I have handy right now.

Newer K40 from the 2000s can actually be a retry decent b&w film. Color reversal options are pretty much nil except the crappy Agfa 200D. But color negative and b&w negative and reversal super 8 are very prevail lent and easy to obtain. There is really no need to shoot old color negative or b&w.

• Premium Member

Patience, Film Ferrania is soon delivering New Scotch Chrome 100, E-6. Wittner who collaborates with the Italians can perforate to Double-8 and Double-Super-8. Super-8 derives from DS-8.

Likely the only thing You will find with the new Ferania film is better colts and higher contrast. It may actually be even grainier if the old 3M spec sheets are what we end up getting.

This all assumes Ferrania even comes through. They are struggling to get this done right now. I would not be shocked if they just disappeared all of a sudden.

The initial funding is gone. Now they're searching for more.

HI Antonio,

give them a go. For the kodachrome, as you know, all you can do is black and white. Given the very real chance of fogging on the film due to age, I think just process it as neg. Same with the E160. I recommend using something with a bit of punch like D19. Have processed hundreds and hundreds of old rolls of Kodachrome as bw neg that way. You will need to do a rem-jet removing pre-bath. As you will for the colour neg.

Its worth doing if you have time available, but not fresh film

cheers,

richard

FWIW, here's some Super 8 em-26 Ektachrome I processed in D-76:

Note that this cartridge was just inside a camera I'd purchased, so aside from the opening, all this footage was shot by someone else who knows when. Probably some time in the late 80s/early 90s.

Edited by Josh Gladstone

Just to add my $0.02 regarding DIY processing in a Lomo tank:

I've successfully processed 1990s K40 Kodachrome as both BW neg and BW reversal - results were okay if a bit murky - it's possibly worth doing if you can pick the stock up cheap or free. Older Kodachrome (eg the K II on the right of your pic) I'd use as leader - it's not worth the effort IME.

The Vision2 is an earlier version of the currently available Vision3 stock and can be processed as C41 if you want to do it yourself. Otherwise there are pro labs who will do it in ECN (its native chemistry) for a fee. Bear in mind this is a colour neg stock and not reversal.

greets from London

Hello, i am a photographer from toronto interested in shooting on film stocks, which is why i joined the forum !

you can process the vision in c41 chemicals, which you can make from scratch if you are able to find all the chemicals, it really isnt that hard and can be put together at room temp. bh photo also sells a power c41 press kit which has gotten good reviews but i am able to get the liquid concentrates where i am. i do not know if you would be able to get the powder kit sent to where you are.

also you can remove the remjet with only baking soda and very hot water, 1 tablespoon / litre, make enough to do 5 or 6 washes, shake vigorously and keep going until the water is clear.

for the kodachrome you process k14 or b&w, BUT k14 doesnt exist anymore.

you cannot cross process the film with c41, kodachrome does not have any dye couplers in the emulsion. the k14 process adds the color.

kodacrhome was hard enough to process that kodak included the processing when you purchased the roll.

• Upvote 1

just want to add i in no way recommend mixing c41 from scratch unless you know exactly what you are doing and how to safely handle what you are working with.

the bh photo kit is the same thing and its already weighed out, mixed and ready to be added to water.

Sorry, I was away for a while!

The great thing about questions is the fact that more questions rise and more knowledge can be shared!

HI Antonio,

give them a go. For the kodachrome, as you know, all you can do is black and white. Given the very real chance of fogging on the film due to age, I think just process it as neg. Same with the E160. I recommend using something with a bit of punch like D19. Have processed hundreds and hundreds of old rolls of Kodachrome as bw neg that way. You will need to do a rem-jet removing pre-bath. As you will for the colour neg.

Its worth doing if you have time available, but not fresh film

cheers,

richard

Nice to read you over here, Richard! We don't have D-19 anymore in Mexico.

Do you think I can use HC-110 instead?

Last post. I promise. Based on your photo I'm 99% sure that 160g you have is the newer em-26.

It is indeed the newer EM-26 process.

FWIW, here's some Super 8 em-26 Ektachrome I processed in D-76:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmN-9aHgrbs

Note that this cartridge was just inside a camera I'd purchased, so aside from the opening, all this footage was shot by someone else who knows when. Probably some time in the late 80s/early 90s.

Hey Josh! Did you transfer the film with your set-up featured in another thread? It looks cool!

Just to add my $0.02 regarding DIY processing in a Lomo tank:

I've successfully processed 1990s K40 Kodachrome as both BW neg and BW reversal - results were okay if a bit murky - it's possibly worth doing if you can pick the stock up cheap or free. Older Kodachrome (eg the K II on the right of your pic) I'd use as leader - it's not worth the effort IME.

The Vision2 is an earlier version of the currently available Vision3 stock and can be processed as C41 if you want to do it yourself. Otherwise there are pro labs who will do it in ECN (its native chemistry) for a fee. Bear in mind this is a colour neg stock and not reversal.

greets from London

So you recommend just using the KII as leader and not even bother on tests?

Have you ever used e Flexicolor kit to process Vison colour neg?

It is what I have handy right now.