Fundraising Ideas

Alex Mercer

No problem, I'm currently lending money for film projects up to 500K.

Terms are interest rate 47.2% compounded weekly. Shall I forward you a credit ap?

R.

Well here's one suggestion...

You and a friend can (maybe you should bring two friends) go to a bank

And kindly ask them to give you all the money...

You should also remember to bring a duffle bag

Because banks only have envelops to give you money and they don't hold much...

Okay so once you got all your money stuff in the duffle bags...

Well all that left to do is--RUN!

Or you can always beg your friends & relatives to pony up...

That's the easiest way to finance and indien film...

PS

Fundraising is one of the hardest things to do...

Most people employ a professional for things like this...

You can research how to do it reading books...but you'll still need a professional.

GOOD LUCK--you'll really really need it

• Premium Member
Well here's one suggestion...

You and a friend can (maybe you should bring two friends) go to a bank

And kindly ask them to give you all the money...

You should also remember to bring a duffle bag

Because banks only have envelops to give you money and they don't hold much...

Okay so once you got all your money stuff in the duffle bags...

Well all that left to do is--RUN!

Or you can always beg your friends & relatives to pony up...

That's the easiest way to finance and indien film...

I prefer to rob a 7-11 as opposed to a bank or liquor store where there are more likely to be guns. Plus, you can do the set catering while you're there.

• Premium Member

There are a number of grants that you could apply for. Many of these you can find online if you search for them. However, the chances you will be accepted for the grant are rather slim.

Oh you want "free" money.

Ok well here's a plan that is 100% guaranteed to work.

1) Become a Canadian

2) Move to Quebec

3) Get millions in film financing.

That's it done. Any questions?

R,

PS: This plan will not work in any other Canadian province, and it will not work if you speak English.

alex,

i apologize in advance for not responding with an embittered, pathetic quip. Seed money is constantly being handed out to small films and is, while usually being a tiny grant to the tune of a couple thousand dollars, an excellent opportunity for one to leverage some initial cash into something more substantial. Check online, call the offices of the independent film festivals, and make it a point to meet people at smaller production companies. and don't let anyone tell you how ridiculous you sound...there's lots of clowns out there who don't know how to work towards success, and there's nothing they hate more than someone who does.

jk :ph34r:

Guest Charlie Seper

Right on Jason.

I know you said to email you about this but I'm on somebody elses computer at the moment and don't mess around with emailing much anyway. (Who has the time for this Internet stuff?)

Anyway Alex, if you happen to come back... not knowing what you've done previously, its hard to give solid advice. But if you haven't done anything small yet, then that's where I'd start. If you've got a killer story that will fit into the time of a "short", then consider just shooting with miniDV at 24p and then looking for a few festivals with digital projection. If things go EXTREMELY well there, then consider printing it to film and then hitting some bigger festivals. If you can knock people's socks off with a low budget short, you'll find that funding a larger project in the future will be much easier. But you have to prove yourself first like with most things in life. Ask any musician--me for instance. :D

• Premium Member

Hi,

Or you could move to the UK and start a production involving as many people as possible who identify with some minority group. It also helps if your film is a tiresomely predictable "issue" movie that panders to popular prejudice about the minority group's interests. Watch the money flood it.

Phil

Hi,

Or you could move to the UK and start a production involving as many people as possible who identify with some minority group. It also helps if your film is a tiresomely predictable "issue" movie that panders to popular prejudice about the minority group's interests. Watch the money flood it.

Phil

Phil I think you're confused, you're describing how things are done in Canada.

Has the UK stolen Canadian methodology?

R,

Phil and Richard,

As if the whole concept of 'minorities' and 'majorities' isn't ridiculous enough as it is - when members of the 'majority' (such as yourselves) have such severe paranoia and inferiority complexes, well, that's just downright insulting.

You guys are CRAZY. Literally.

Seek help and in the meantime, please keep you Klan/Nazi propoganda to yourselves.

Yuck Foo!!

X+O,

Jonathan

Oh well so much for the cease fire Jonathan, well it was nice while it lasted.

Now we're back to your old tricks of calling any one with a view contrary to yours a "Klan/Nazi."

I'm thankful the USA and Canada both have Constitutions that protect us from people like Jonathan Spear, who would stop at nothing to silence those who disagree with them in any form or fashion.

Guess what Jonathan even if I was a Nazi, which I most certainly am not, the First Amendment would protect my right to say just about any thing I want. Check the case law you'll see that I'm right.

Laws such as the First Amendment are in place to protect us all from people like YOU.

R,

PS: I don't have any names to call you Jonathan, that's for children.

There's a difference between blatant xenophobia and minority-phobia (the term escapes me) to freedom of speech, which is something people to this very day still fight and die for.

Is this freedom of speech or good ol' ignorance?:

"Or you could move to the UK and start a production involving as many people as possible who identify with some minority group. It also helps if your film is a tiresomely predictable "issue" movie that panders to popular prejudice about the minority group's interests. Watch the money flood it."

"Phil I think you're confused, you're describing how things are done in Canada.

Has the UK stolen Canadian methodology?"

----

You know, if it weren't for the fact that you two always talk like that, I wouldn't be so angry and insulted.

"Is this freedom of speech or good ol' ignorance?:"

The problem with you Jonathan is that you don't understand that it doesn't matter either way.

The First Amendment protects a bunch of ignorant hillbillies in the ozarks as much as it protects highly "enlightened" people like you.

In your society the only point of view that would be allowed to be expressed are the ones that you agree with. Which is why you're not in power and the USA has an independent court system.

By the way, when you start calling specific people "nazis and Klan" members in a public forum you have crossed into the libel and slander part of the law, which is outside the free speech zone. Since Phil and I are not public figures we do not have to meet the same standard of libel that public figures do. We could actually sue you for what you're saying.

Don't believe me? Ask a reporter for a newspaper what would happen to them and the paper if they referred to a private individual as a Nazi when it could not be proven he was one. The reporter would be fired and the newspaper sued.

Some thing for you to keep in mind as you may find your self slapped with a lawsuit some day.

R,

• Premium Member

Obviously these guys have issues when it comes to minorities...

There's a difference between freedom of expression and simply having good manners.

Just because you have a right to engage in a certain type of speech which appears on face value to be anti-minority, doesn't mean you always have to exercise it, especially in a cinematography forum. You could just keep such comments to yourself...

Or you guys can keep pushing the limits until you eventually get kicked out of this forum. You have to ask yourself if you really log on here everyday to make comments on minorities in your countries or if there is a better forum for that.

In my case David you would be quite incorrect on that point, I have no issues with any minorities.

If I did I would not have so many "minority" friends or hire so many as freelancers and sub contractors to work with me, and get pay checks from me.

R,

Edited by Guest

• Premium Member
In my case David you would be quite incorrect on that point, I have no issues with any minorities.

Then stop writing posts in which you give that impression! Jeez, do you think I WANT to think that way about you? I'd prefer NOT to know your attitudes towards minorities one way or the other.

And avoid the classic justification "some of my best friends are..." because that only makes things worse.

"And avoid the classic justification "some of my best friends are..." because that only makes things worse. "

Well then I guess I am just a stupid ignorant white guy, because other than informing you that I have many non-white friends, I have no other ideas for explaining to you that I have no issues with minorities. (Obviously a Klan member does not go golfing with his black friends.)

For the record I have never said any thing derogative toward minorities. Laws such as "employment equity" yes, minorities no.

But as you point out the affirmitive action debate can be reserved for another forum.

Perhaps we need a new forum on Yahoo where subjects such as "politics and film" and "religion in film" can be discussed freely and people can say any thing they want. Clearly many are interested in these issues and in having a dialouge.

Then we can leave discussions on filters, lenses and film stocks, here where they belong.

R,

A couple problems I see with the direction of some posts in this thread, and the whole concept as a whole, are:

1. There is no attempt at refuting what Richard and Phil said, but rather just name calling (prick, nazi, klan), which is worse than anything Richard or Phil said, even if you read into their statements what you "think" they are "really" saying (mindreading anyone?).

2. Richard and Phil couldn't make these kinds of comments, if there were not in fact grants specifically for minorities.

If they've committed any crime here, it's for their sarcasm.

In other words, you guys can't actually criticize the content of what they're saying, because it's factual.

What you're doing, is saying that "only a certain kind of person would say these things about minorities" therefore they're racist nazi klansmen pricks, etc. which if I'm not mistaken, is blatantly stereotyping, and blatant intolerance towards any views but your own, even if those views are actually correct (or did someone do away with all minority grants while I was sleeping?).

I believe in a level playing field, but I think that only happens when REAL EQUALITY in the minds of common people happens, and it's not going to happen as long as people continue to be qualified by the color of their skin, regardless of what the color is.

"It's Payback time" policies, are not making this happen, obviously.

I find it interesting that the entertainment industry, filled to the brim with "enlightened, tolerant" folks (I'm avoiding the "L" word here!), statistically is worse than almost any other industry in minority & women representation.

"Do as I say, not as I do" appears to be the approach here, which of course is another way of saying: hypocrisy.

But given the fact that the same people cannot, or will not engage in intelligent responses to what they disagree with, but immediately flip into "you're a nazi prick" mode, then it's not surprising at all.

If you really think someone is wrong about their beliefs, then calling them names is certainly not going to accomplish anything other than making you feel whatever rush it is that some people feel when they insult others.

MP

If you ever get punched in the face for being a 'non-minority' please let me know, matt.

If you ever get called a "- - -boy, k - - -, b-by e--t-r" etc, please let me know.

And if you lost 1/3 of your family to Nazi Germany and 3 close friends to crazy suicide bombers then PLEASE MATT, LET ME KNOW.

Until then -

STFU.

• Premium Member
There is no attempt at refuting what Richard and Phil said

I don't think we need to start a debate society here, that's why. But to know where I'm coming from...

Surely we can all admit that the power elite of most first-world countries is predominately (not entirely, I admit) white and usually male. The people who make the policy decisions, the people who control financing, run corporations, run entire countries, etc. are for the most part white and male. I don't think anyone can deny that.

If you operate mentally from this BASIC premise, you can understand why white men complaining about their dwindling political and economic power in their countries to ethnic minorities, well, rubs some people (like me) the wrong way. What they see as an unfair loss of power to me looks merely like a balancing of power. Look, you can only cut up the pie so many ways, and some group that historically has had the largest slice of pie is going to think it's unfair to have to share more of it.

I'm not saying that there are not strong arguments on both sides in regards to equal opportunity laws, racial quotas, illegal immigration, etc. I don't have any solutions to these problems and I'm willing to hear a debate on this -- but not here in this forum.

As for calling people Nazis, I agree that the terms is overused and should be applied more carefully and accurately lest it becomes meaningless. Just because someone is against equal opportunity laws does not make them a Nazi.

On the other hand, people constantly seeing the need to bolster "white rights" against a tide of rising minority rights comes off rather badly. It does not pass the "smell test" because it is too close to the rhetoric of Neo-Nazis, the Klan, etc. Hence why I suggest one take a hard look at what one is saying to make sure they aren't falling into the thinking behind those sorts of groups dedicated to preserving "white power" so they can debate these issues (elsewhere) more effectively and promote their viewpoint without coming across as a closet racist, if they are not one.

Thanks everyone for again dragging me into a political debate on a cinematography forum. Now maybe Tim will step in...

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

This sounds crazy, but I do actually think talking about politics on a cinematography board is acceptable. The film industry has ALOT to do with politics.

I'm studying A level film in college right now, were looking at ethnic minorities, social classes, it's all got something to do with film. Polotics have influenced the way people make films, a lot of the time to be "poltically correct" mind you.

The only thing is, like in cinematography, people have different beliefs in politics. And sometimes people can get hurt by them.

Thanks everyone for again dragging me into a political debate on a cinematography forum.

Riiiiight........... <_<

Edited by Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

If you're suggesting that being a victim is an excuse to be bigoted, then I supposed those are decent excuses, but this whole ugly mess called racism is just going to continue forever as long as people use past offenses to justify present bigotry, which is exactly my point.

Although this pales to what you just posted, yes I have not only been punched, but had my forehead slashed open while being called a "white cracker motherf****er", and I have the scar to prove it.

(I was very politely telling this thief to get out of the store I was working in, in case you think I did something to deserve it).

My father joined WWII at age 16 and ended up in Germany fighting the Nazi's, and I happen to be about as pro-Jew and pro-Israel as you can get.

Don't even get me started about how many times my mother, brother and sister (in their 7-11 store) were robbed at gunpoint, punched, etc., while being called racsist names, (justifying robbing and brutalizing, for the sake of "payback time" like I mentioned), and yet I'm not a racist because of it.

My sister married a black guy, and I attended the wedding, and we became good friends. Sound like a klansman to you?

There are many different perspectives people have on these issues, and many different backgrounds that formed them.

You should learn a bit of the tolerance you pretend to have, and not automatically assign certain attributes to anyone who disagrees with you.

MP