availability in UK and ROI

Jason M Silverman

• Premium Member

Hi,

There is one place in the West End that will receive film and sell you more stock, but I believe they send S8 neg processing to LA, of all places.

Last time I spoke to them they claimed there'd be UK processing "within weeks" but with CFS going down the pan you have to wonder how much longer we'll be able to get any format processed round here.

Phil

Guest coolbreeze

Jason,

Last time I looked there was still plenty of Kodachrome to be found in Photography shops around Dublin. As i recall it gets sent to Germany for processing. The last batch i sent off took about 3/4 weeks to get back to me.

Jason,

Last time I looked there was still plenty of Kodachrome to be found in Photography shops around Dublin. As i recall it gets sent to Germany for processing. The last batch i sent off took about 3/4 weeks to get back to me.

Kodachrome 40 is still available from Jessops and other photo shops. It is also available from 7dayshop on the internet.

K40 is process paid film. It comes in a box with a little envelope which you fill in and mail back to Kodak. K40 is only processed in switzerland and the U.S. You can send your film directly to switzerland but a lot of people send their film to Wimbledon rather than trust the royal mail, and also to save some postage. YMMV.

This will change within a year however, as kodak have discontinued K40 and are closing the plant in switerland.

There is going to be a new emulsion for S8 called ektachrome 64T to replace K40, but at the moment it is completely unknown if this will be available process paid or in Jessops etc, so a lot of stuff is still up in the air.

You can also get K40 and other film stocks such as Plus-X, Tri-X and vision2 negative films direct from kodak. The Tri-X and Plus-X are black and white and you can process them yourself at home with a special tank. The Colour negative films are ECN2 process. There is no lab in the u.k. to process black and white or ECN2 process film.

With regard to the ECN2 process colour negative films (vision2), there is a company called Andec in germany that will process them. There might be another German lab too, I can't remember just now. You can also drop your film off at the widescreen centre. They basically just send it to Germany and charge you extra for the service, but if you don't have a credit card or acess to one, then this may be your only way to process the stuff.

I suggest you have lots of fun with K40 while you can! :)

love

Freya

Your best bet is this (if you want to shoot negative)

Telephone Kodak in Hemel Hemstead in the UK on +44 1442 845945 and ask for Dan Clark. He will sell film to you, any emulsion and at the best price. The last Vision negative I had from him was £7.17 +vat. For processing you will do best to send negative film direct to Andec Filmtechnic in Berlin. Although there is a brand new service for super8 negative processing just started by ToddAO in London, Andec offer a better price - or seem to.

ToddAO have bought a brand new machine for this service.

If you want to shoot B/W send to Andec also.

Shoot Kodachrome of you have plenty of light!

Matt

• 3 weeks later...